Which one

TankerHC

I have decided to just go ahead and do another build. Narrowed it down to one of these two CPU's. Which one would you go with and why?

Thanks, J

AMD Phenom II 1090T Black Edition Six Core

or
AMD FX-8120 3.10 GHz Eight Core AM3+ Unlocked

spynoodle

Have you tried to unlock the two extra cores on your 960t yet? You could get 1090t-level performance if you did.

jonnyp11

I thought they were quad cores, with something like "Hyper-Threading", like Intel has. The 1090T is a true six core CPU.

Sorta, they are more like 2 full cores sharing one or 2 pieces like Siamese twins instead of a guy with 4 legs

A press release on anandtech was saying piledriver is basically just a lower power bulldozer with a few minor improvements, everything that was performance fixing i saw was scheduled to come with steamroller which is the 2013 3rd gen version

jonnyp11

I have decided to just go ahead and do another build. Narrowed it down to one of these two CPU's. Which one would you go with and why?

Thanks, J

AMD Phenom II 1090T Black Edition Six Core

or
AMD FX-8120 3.10 GHz Eight Core AM3+ Unlocked

if doing an entire new build i would strongly recommend trying out an intel i5, they are amazing, check the performance on anandtech in the benches section. And what exactly is it for, gaming will really prefer intel while some other things will do fine on an AMD processor for less. Also you should check if you live near a microcenter, they have good deals on the processor and motherboard.

spirit

Staff member
if doing an entire new build i would strongly recommend trying out an intel i5, they are amazing, check the performance on anandtech in the benches section. And what exactly is it for, gaming will really prefer intel while some other things will do fine on an AMD processor for less. Also you should check if you live near a microcenter, they have good deals on the processor and motherboard.

^ This. I'd buy a 2500K or a 3570K any day of the week over a 1090T or an 8120/8150.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I would get the 8120, its 135 bucks with 15% off. For the price difference between it and a 2500K he could get a 6870 instead of a 6670.

jonnyp11

I would get the 8120, its 135 bucks with 15% off. For the price difference between it and a 2500K he could get a 6870 instead of a 6670.

unless he's near a microcenter where it is about that but you get 40 off a mobo too or a 3570k for like 170 and 50 off a mobo

spynoodle

I still think that you should try unlocking cores on your 960t first. You might not need any better performance once you do that.

spirit

Staff member
I still think that you should try unlocking cores on your 960t first. You might not need any better performance once you do that.

If he could that'd be a good, but it doesn't it come down to the board and chip he has as to whether he'd be able to do that?

StrangleHold

Staff member
The board has unlocking. The CPU, if its one of the first 960T it will probably unlock, if its one of the later ones its a 50/50 thing. None of them really overclocked that well.

TankerHC

I have attempted unlocking the cores on that 960t several times. Always does the same thing. Pixalated screen then lock out. I always have to go back into the BIOS and reset everything. I just left it as is, used the overclocking software, its running at 3.8 right now. Added an SSD. Gave it to the wife.

Have been using my laptop as a desktop (attached to wireless keyboard and mouse and 32 inch monitor). Just wanted to free up the laptop.

Instead I went ahead and purchased an HP Laptop last night, a Pavilion m7-1015dx Entertainment Laptop. So for now the other laptop will remain as my desktop while I build my new Desktop.

Think I will go with an Intel Processor.

As for what it will be used for. Video and Photo editing, Office Doc's (Primarily big spreadsheets). and basically web use (maintaining my vBulletin Gun Forum, updating websites, that sort of thing).

Honestly, I just want to get as much power out of it as cost effectively as possible...just because.

jonnyp11

2500k with 8gb's ram is all you need really then and since you aren't doing graphic stuff you could probs put it in a ITX case.