Votes: 53 82.8%
  • Linux-based

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Mac OS

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters

Punk

Staff member
It (linux) is great for battery life, and speeding up low power or older systems. starts in no time flat too. 2 to 3 seconds on a SSD in SATA II mode (ICH8m does not support SATA3).
I mainly like it because it is fully customizable. And it is not locked down like the 2 apples (OSX and Windows), which means that if there is a problem in the OS itself, you can fix it yourself. If you don't like how it does something, then you change it. If you don't like the Shell, you can change it. Basically, you are never stuck.
Windows however, you get whats in the box. Don't like how it looks, your out $30 for a program to fix it. Don't like metro, there is another $5 to fix that. Find a problem in the OS, you have to call M$, complain for a while, and maybe they fix it, maybe they don't.

OSX, it is useless. I agree there. No freedom at all. At least windows lets you choose your hardware for the most part.

yeah I can understand why Linux is good, but you have to be somewhat experimented to be able to customize it. That's why Win is pretty good for the average Joe.

wolfeking

banned
do you mean experienced? And that is not true. For anything you want to do short of programming a video game, there is an answer on the web with exact steps on how to do it.

Windows, 99% of the time, is only used by the average person because it is all they ever used. Most of them here from people 1 of 2 lies, and believe them. 1. Windows and Mac are the only options. Or 2. Linux is difficult to use and you have to be a very smart person to use it. When you actually get them on a linux computer, most of them can find their way around. My family get on my linux machines all the time, and short of not knowing the password, I have never had to explain how to use it.

Punk

Staff member
do you mean experienced? And that is not true. For anything you want to do short of programming a video game, there is an answer on the web with exact steps on how to do it.

Windows, 99% of the time, is only used by the average person because it is all they ever used. Most of them here from people 1 of 2 lies, and believe them. 1. Windows and Mac are the only options. Or 2. Linux is difficult to use and you have to be a very smart person to use it. When you actually get them on a linux computer, most of them can find their way around. My family get on my linux machines all the time, and short of not knowing the password, I have never had to explain how to use it.

Yup, I meant experienced :)

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You can change anything you want in Windows.Every single detail.All you need is to know how.Example:

You can open this computer forum WEB site when the user clicks the TURN OFF button (used to shut down Windows OS / computer).

Sounds funny,but it's possible.

In short you can change ALL the look 100% and you can change ALL the functionalities 100%.And all that for free believe it or not.The only problem is that people do not have the knowledge to do it since it requires them to have programming knowledge plus some other things.

In Linux however most of those things are a lot easier to do since those OS offer options to do that without having programming knowledge so it is WAY easier for users to do that.

Anyway the point is...you do not need to spend a single dollar to do anything that comes on your mind in Windows OS also.So you have 2 options:

-spend money on program(s) which do what you want (changing the look,changing the functionality or both)

-learn programming and other things connected to it and you can do the same for 00,00 dollars every time

Cheers!

wolfeking

banned
You can change anything you want in Windows.Every single detail.All you need is to know how.Example:

You can open this computer forum WEB site when the user clicks the TURN OFF button (used to shut down Windows OS / computer).

Sounds funny,but it's possible.

In short you can change ALL the look 100% and you can change ALL the functionalities 100%.And all that for free believe it or not.The only problem is that people do not have the knowledge to do it since it requires them to have programming knowledge plus some other things.

In Linux however most of those things are a lot easier to do since those OS offer options to do that without having programming knowledge so it is WAY easier for users to do that.

Anyway the point is...you do not need to spend a single dollar to do anything that comes on your mind in Windows OS also.So you have 2 options:

-spend money on program(s) which do what you want (changing the look,changing the functionality or both)

-learn programming and other things connected to it and you can do the same for 00,00 dollars every time

Cheers!
for the average user, windows is unchangable. You can change the window look, either classic or aero, metro or metro. But beyond that you need a program. Needing to know programming kind of affirms that.

spirit

Staff member
Because XP stopped working at it cant connect to internet.

?? Sounds more like a software or driver or router problem there more than the OS itself playing up.

Server 2003 is really not a very consumer friendly OS, as I'm sure you'll find out when you try to use it as a replacement for XP. :/

This is a bit bias, as I do have experience with non-linux open source software such as ReactOS, amongst others. Wouldn't it be better to add another option "Non-linux Open Source" and "Non-Linux Paid"?

jshun123

Window 7 since i only really used window and since most of pre built system came with preinstalled window....

Did play around mac with my friends mac but too long ago to remember.... And wasnt so revolutionary as the adds said as far as i can remember...