which OS?

Whitebird

Well, i personally installed xp for gaming purposes, if i need vista, it's on a 20gb partition
I need to be low on resources for gaming, otherwise i'd be using 7

No complaints so far ^^

edit: but if you get xp, get a new theme like royale noir

DanyD

Well, i personally installed xp for gaming purposes, if i need vista, it's on a 20gb partition

No complaints so far ^^

My suggestion is window 7, that's becasue its an upgraded version of XP.

lucasbytegenius

No complaints so far ^^

I haven't had any issues with 7 and its resource use. When idling, 500 MB is average RAM usage, and SuperFetch is nicer to other applications now.

elobire

i think that i will go with win7 then. il be running games almost all the time, so if its the best option for performance then thats what i want

Whitebird

I haven't had any issues with 7 and its resource use. When idling, 500 MB is average RAM usage, and SuperFetch is nicer to other applications now.
thanks, i will try that, the only reason i use xp is because i thought it was best for gaming, i'm going to switch to 7 later then ^^

CareyS

See, Im running Win 7 Home Prem 64bit.

20487.png

Darth Shadious

Vista is a memory hog! You want a gaming rig? You want an efficient computer at all, get Win 7. End of story. 7 is a more refined Vista basically. I came from Vista home basic to Win 7 professional and it is such a shock to have all these great usable features. Go 7 and don't look back

Aastii

VIP Member

No complaints so far ^^

XP doesn't have DX10 or 11, which Vista and 7 have, so they would be better for gaming if you have a gaming setup (as you will certainly have atleast a geforce 8 or Radeon HD3000 series or better card for gaming)

My suggestion is window 7, that's becasue its an upgraded version of XP.

7 is an upgraded version of Vista, not XP. XP is completely different to Vista and 7, however most of 7 is just a slightly changed version of Vista, both what you can see, and what you can't

Vista is a memory hog! You want a gaming rig? You want an efficient computer at all, get Win 7. End of story. 7 is a more refined Vista basically. I came from Vista home basic to Win 7 professional and it is such a shock to have all these great usable features. Go 7 and don't look back

Vista isn't a memory hog, like 7 it scales memory. When I had 8GB in my Vista system, it was using ~2B idle, when I had 2GB in, it was using ~ 400mb idle, if you turn off the features, it will go much lower than that. The "Vista is a memory hog" came from if you have every extra enabled, then yea, it does use more resources, but most people turn off the useless stuff like Aero anyway. As to gaming in Vista, any system that I've used that has had both Vista and 7 on, I have seen no performance difference at all from 1 to the other. I agree 7 is better, but Vista is still a very good operating system