Which part is too hot then?

chshwong

A Quad and a 8800 is the most heat intensive combination you can get really.

I got this new computer. It's been crashing when I play CS. I used to often have blue screen too doing other things.
Finally, I realize that my computer was too hot. I realized that by having my home fan blowing at the open case. Then there would never be a problem.

K, I changed my cpu fan to a Thermaltake V1, and I added 2 slot fans top and bottom of my Video card. It helped. But on HOTTER DAYS, when my room gets really hot, the computer would still crash when I play CS... like every 5 minutes.
Magically, having my fan blowing at the open case would solve all the problems again...

However, at FULL load, my CPU temp was only at LOW 50s Celsius, and my video card at MID-LOW 60s celsius. My MB would be at low 40s.

These number aren't big at all right for full load right?
Then what is too hot? How come having my fan blowing at the computer would solve the problem instantly?

And are there other cheap solutions? like under 100$? Is there a way to DIY a side panel fan? It's very irritating.
What's too hot?

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
Video Card: Geforce 8800GTS 640Mb PCI-E GIGABYTE
Case: Antec P180
Motherboard: Asus P5K-SE
RAM: 2 GB Dual, Kingston PC2-6400, 800mhz DDR2
LG 16x DVD/CD-RW 52x
LG DVD R/W 18x "LightScribe", SATA, GSA-H62L
MAIN HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 rpm 16 MB (ST3320620AS)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Power Supply EA-500
Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 710 Laser USB wireless receiver
Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System - Black
Monitor: Samsung 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor (206BW) 2ms, 3000:1 300cd/m2 1680x1050

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Both the CPU and GPU temperatures are fine. I agree with GCR, check how hot the air is from the PSU. Is the bottom wind tunnel 120mm fan set on high?

chshwong

oh ... i never ever thought of my PSU. But it's can't be the power right? Cause it works fine during cool temperature. The fan speed of my case, CPU and GPU are basically fixed, so shouldnt' use more power on hot days.

So maybe it really is the temp of my PSU? I'll check that out and let you guys know. But how do i check its temp?

XanderCage

no, under load your components will suck up more juice than idle. So while it may run fine idle, when you ask your gpu and cpu to do cs or other games, they will work harder requiring more power and producing more heat. We established that it isn't your temps, so check your psu, the amps on the 12v rail should be atleast 25 amps for an 8800 ( correct me if im wrong )

chshwong

Sorry, i guess i wasn't clear.
When I mean cool temperature, i really meant cool ROOM temperature... when it's cold outside.
During cool climate, i could play CS for hours, without a single crash.

thealmightyone

Basically sounds like your PSU is overheating. Try removing the PSU from the case (but wires still plugged in). Turn computer on in a warm/hot room - try to recreate the conditions that cause your computer to crash. In theory, blowing a fan at the PSU intake should stop the freezing.

Archangel

VIP Member
It is either (like said) your PSU wich gets too hot, rendering it unable to deliver the required ammount of power or your grafic's card overheating.

the hotter a PSU gets, the fewer power it can convert from the net, so if its running hot, the power wont be enough to keep the pc running. (the componenets cant see the voltage difference between a '1' and a '0' anymore etc,.. etc,.. meaning it crashes.

do you get a bsod when it crashes? (like 1 second or so, then it restarts) then My gues would be the grafic's card. but I have to agree with the rest, sounds like the powersupply to me. :)

Last edited:

chshwong

ok then i'll try to work on my PSU tonight.
I get BSOD time to time. When I play CS, 90% of the time is just those that I can simply restart. And the weird thing is.. whenever I check memory usage with ctl-alt-del, CS would be using 3-4 times as much RAM than it normally does. Right at that crashing moment..... how is that related to heat? hahah.. but the fan does solve the problem..

chshwong

ok.. from some online PSU calculator.. my computer needs 650-700 watt.... and I only have a 500WATT psu.......... :(