Which phone?

JLuchinski

I am due for a phone upgrade shortly and I am torn between the iPhone x and the huawei p20 pro. Watching videos there so close speedwise and I do not notice a massive difference between the cameras. I have been an android user forever as well. Which do you guys prefer and why?

Darren

Staff member
My S8+ is superb in every way. First Samsung phone since my S3 but I see why they're the market leaders in the Android world.

JLuchinski

My S8+ is superb in every way. First Samsung phone since my S3 but I see why they're the market leaders in the Android world.
My first phone was the s3, that was an awesome phone, then I had the s5 that was a piece of crap, have hated Samsung ever since. I've always liked htc since the m7, currently have the m10 which is still an awesome phone but the screen is cracked and it's pricey to replace. The u12 is coming soon but it's 1200 and not being offered to carriers for some reason. Thinking the iPhone just to change it up.

Darren

Staff member
If you're an Android guy I get the feeling you'd regret that unless you're really invested in a whole OS shakeup and everything that brings along with it.

I'm in the same boat, I didn't like Samsung for a long time but the S8 was the turning point for them. They got rid of a lot of the bloat and crap that plagued the S3-S6. Came from LG phones, which I liked but had QC issues.

I don't know much about the HTC phones or Hauwei so can't comment there.

JLuchinski

If you're an Android guy I get the feeling you'd regret that unless you're really invested in a whole OS shakeup and everything that brings along with it.

I'm in the same boat, I didn't like Samsung for a long time but the S8 was the turning point for them. They got rid of a lot of the bloat and crap that plagued the S3-S6. Came from LG phones, which I liked but had QC issues.

I don't know much about the HTC phones or Hauwei so can't comment there.
Huawei is fairly new to the game, htc has been around for a long time but they don't get system updates as fast as other phones though. I've looked at the lg g7 but I have always had lg products break on me so not really interested. Is iOS a huge learning curve coming from android?

Darren

Staff member
I'm sure you'd get used to it, but whenever I mess with an iOS device I'm amazed how little control I have and feels super locked down. They're snappy and nice looking devices, just not my style and depending on what you like about Android you'd probably be in a similar boat.

HTC used to be at the forefront of the Android market in the early days. Seems they've fallen out of favor. I know Hauwei has a large presence overseas and they're just now getting integrated into the North American market.

JLuchinski

I'm sure you'd get used to it, but whenever I mess with an iOS device I'm amazed how little control I have and feels super locked down. They're snappy and nice looking devices, just not my style and depending on what you like about Android you'd probably be in a similar boat.

HTC used to be at the forefront of the Android market in the early days. Seems they've fallen out of favor. I know Hauwei has a large presence overseas and they're just now getting integrated into the North American market.
Hmm, I don't really do anything to crazy with my phone now, what can you not do on an iPhone that you can do on an android?

Darren

Staff member
Hmm, I don't really do anything to crazy with my phone now, what can you not do on an iPhone that you can do on an android?
Just basic stuff like customization, widgets (how does iOS still not have this?), share functionality between apps. Detailed control of notifications, custom launchers, icon themes, etc. I tweak mine a decent amount, but never got into custom ROM's and stuff like that. Usually just a root, although even that isn't necessary on my S8+.

JLuchinski

Just basic stuff like customization, widgets (how does iOS still not have this?), share functionality between apps. Detailed control of notifications, custom launchers, icon themes, etc. I tweak mine a decent amount, but never got into custom ROM's and stuff like that. Usually just a root, although even that isn't necessary on my S8+.
Wow, I did not realize that. I'm sticking with android, thanks for your help.

Darren

Staff member
Wow, I did not realize that. I'm sticking with android, thanks for your help.
Yeah iPhones are nice, but I feel if you value any of the things I listed to some degree you'd regret it. There's other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head but generally iOS just feels gimped to me.

JLuchinski

One day the north American market will crush huawei phones,because it's made in China ,it involves politics.
I don't hate the iphone because I have one,but i suggest you use an Android phone (Samsung , HTC ......)
Android manager is very powerful and a a great device for users.
I don't know, a lot of people are happy with a new competitor in the smart phone market, and honestly I think it's only going to get better as time goes on.

Darren

Staff member
If Americans didn't buy Chinese products because they're Chinese, then our entire economy would collapse. Pretty poor logic, most consumer electronics aren't made in the US and consumers speak with their wallets even if the clowns in DC want to dance around with tariffs. In fact, I'd challenge you to find a smartphone made in the US.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
If Americans didn't buy Chinese products because they're Chinese, then our entire economy would collapse. Pretty poor logic, most consumer electronics aren't made in the US and consumers speak with their wallets even if the clowns in DC want to dance around with tariffs. In fact, I'd challenge you to find a smartphone made in the US.

on a recent episode of Vice, they did a piece on the tariff situation and broke down the iPhone supply chain. parts and IP are sourced from nearly every continent, with the final product finally assembled in China. it's a global economy, no two-ways about it. especially in the area of consumer electronics, after you break it down, almost nothing is produced in a single region.

personally, I like the iPhone, but they are far more locked down as Darren stated. I'm not really interested in heavy customization and some of the other Android features, although I do miss the microsd slot.

Darren

Staff member
on a recent episode of Vice, they did a piece on the tariff situation and broke down the iPhone supply chain. parts and IP are sourced from nearly every continent, with the final product finally assembled in China. it's a global economy, no two-ways about it. especially in the area of consumer electronics, after you break it down, almost nothing is produced in a single region.

personally, I like the iPhone, but they are far more locked down as Darren stated. I'm not really interested in heavy customization and some of the other Android features, although I do miss the microsd slot.
Yeah. Similar thing with people getting uppity about American vs Asian/European cars. Most Japanese/Korean cars are built in the US and many American cars are made in Mexico or other countries.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
When are you looking to buy? I wouldn't buy anything from Huawei due to their ties to the Chinese government and questionable security incidents with some of their product lines.

I'm supposed to be getting an X from work and could answer anything about it if you're on the fence.

JLuchinski

When are you looking to buy? I wouldn't buy anything from Huawei due to their ties to the Chinese government and questionable security incidents with some of their product lines.

I'm supposed to be getting an X from work and could answer anything about it if you're on the fence.
I'm in no rush to buy, i'm still trying to decide, I'm really leaning towards the iPhone x, iPhones just seem to be way more efficient with the hardware, they are always just as fast if not faster than android phones with higher specs. Plus a change would be nice. What kind of security incidents are there with huawei?

Grantapus

I ended up going with the p20 pro, not going to lie this phone is beautiful. The camera is amazing, especially in low light.
You made the right decision. My 256GB silver iPhone X broke after about a month. The camera lens just cracked for no reason. I sent my $1000 emoji machine back in a heart beat!