Which PSU should I use?

mistersprinkles

I have a recently assembled computer. I have been building for years. Currently, the machine is using my Corsair CX600 purchased December 2014 and in daily use since then running a Pentium G3258 machine with integrated video. It is now powering my 4790K and GTX 980.

I also have a Corsair HX850 which I purchased in December 2010. It has been in constant use since then and I have never drawn more than about 450W from it.

My question is, should I use the older higher quality PSU, or should I use the newer lower quality PSU?

Im leaning towards keeping the CX600 in the machine. I would like to hear other people's thoughts.

Darren

Staff member
My 8320 and R9 390 are both overclocked and definitely pull more power than your setup. Runs fine on a CX600M.

beers

Staff member
Personally I'd throw the 850w in your 'main rig', which sounds like this one. It's a bit better on efficiency and gives you more headroom for crazy things like 1080 SLI ;)

Realistic cost between the two is pretty nil. What prompted you to buy that extra PSU?

Darren

Staff member
Personally I'd throw the 850w in your 'main rig', which sounds like this one. It's a bit better on efficiency and gives you more headroom for crazy things like 1080 SLI ;)

Realistic cost between the two is pretty nil. What prompted you to buy that extra PSU?

I'm just lazy and wouldn't want to rewire. :p

mistersprinkles

I was using the CX600 in my HTPC. Long story. Anyways the only reason Im not using the HX is that it is six years old and I dont trust it too much.

mistersprinkles

Yes exactly. No doubt, out of the box the HX is better than the CX but it's so old at this point I just dont trust it. What are people's thoughts on keeping it around as a spare unit?

Darren

Staff member
You're over thinking this whole situation IMO. Either will work fine, I'd just as well leave the CX600M where it is since it's less work. If it dies, throw the older unit in. Or vice versa. It ultimately won't matter much, if at all.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yes exactly. No doubt, out of the box the HX is better than the CX but it's so old at this point I just dont trust it. What are people's thoughts on keeping it around as a spare unit?
a 6 year old HX850 PSU is not "old". Those things have a 7 year warranty period ffs.