which ram should i use

Ryan_Sama

hey, im getting the new ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX mobo and can support DDR3 2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 ram. my question is how exactly do i use the o.c ones? do i have the oc my board or somthing to make it work? or can i just pop them in and have them work? thanks

StrangleHold

Staff member
Just means you will need to go into the bios and manually set the Speed/Timing and Voltage. If you using a Phenom II, anything above 1600 you will probably have to bump up the memory controller voltage. If your running a Zambezi, by default it supports 1866

Last edited:

CrayonMuncher

The QVL list i am assume you are referring to is not a complete list, it would be very hard to test all the diff makes of ram. The one strangehold linked to is fine, I seriously doubt you need 16 GB of ram, that is an enourmous amount I tax my computer and 4 GB is more than sufficent, even 8GB is still going to go mostly unused.
Better you go with an 8GB kit and save some $$$$ and spend that on another part of the build.

claptonman

If you're planning on playing Battlefield 3, the game does use more than 4GB of RAM. 8gb is the sweet spot.