Which SSD to go with?

frldyz

1st computer build.

Will be used primarily as a home computer for basic needs. However.... A some point I might buy a couple games just for the heck of it.

I will be having additional HDD for storage of files.

The SSD will only be used to store and run programs.

Windows 7.

i7 4790k

Noctua NH-14

I will be running 2 monitor for sure. I would love to run 3. (Do I need it? No. But why not?)

The entire purpose of this goal is to have an as fast as possible home computer. I want windows 7 to just scream with speed when using it.

That being said. Which SSD card is the way to go. Money is not an issues. However I'd like not to go over the $300 mark if possible.

I've read some great things about the Samsung SSD PRO's. And thought I read something about a new Samsung SSD with 3D or vertical technology or something?

Thanks guys

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I have the 850 PRO and it's insanely fast. My computer cold boots faster than my old laptop can wake up from sleep mode. The 256GB or 512GB versions fits in your budget (512 is $10 over on Amazon).

Darren

Staff member
If you can get used to it I'd suggest Windows 8. It's overall a much snappier OS than 7, and it benefits from an SSD more so. My computer with W7 and an 840 EVO drive boots in about 25 seconds. If I put Windows 8 on here (I tried, didn't work) it would be probably half that, or less.

ninjabubbles3

If you can get used to it I'd suggest Windows 8. It's overall a much snappier OS than 7, and it benefits from an SSD more so. My computer with W7 and an 840 EVO drive boots in about 25 seconds. If I put Windows 8 on here (I tried, didn't work) it would be probably half that, or less.

Windows 10 is even faster. 12 seconds with a WD Blue

Darren

Staff member
Windows 10 is even faster. 12 seconds with a WD Blue

I don't recommend software that isn't officially released yet, especially something as essential as an OS. Not taking a shot at you or anything since you use it, I just tend to recommend stuff that's a bit more stable. :good:

ninjabubbles3

I don't recommend software that isn't officially released yet, especially something as essential as an OS. Not taking a shot at you or anything since you use it, I just tend to recommend stuff that's a bit more stable. :good:

Yeah, I know. Have had to do some reinstalls of the OS a few times

frldyz

These are all the ones I'm looking @.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100008120 50001077 600038502 600038492 600038491

But I cant decifer the difference between them. Ive read a lot of good things about the pro series. But there are different models. 840? 850? EVO?

This is the one that really caught my attention.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3FA2EV1099

Because it was $499 now $287! But there are some pretty harsh reviews.

Help!

Thanks everyone for responding

C4C

Yeah that second one has a pretty recent firmware update that seems to have had some issues..

Hopefully Samsung has a quick fix, but I'd risk it with Newegg Iron Egg if you have it..

frldyz

Got an new 850 pro 512gb for $289.

I read and it sounds like Samsung removed the update they had bak in February that was causing people systems to crash

storp

That being said. Which SSD card is the way to go. Money is not an issues. However I'd like not to go over the $300 mark if possible.

I've read some great things about the Samsung SSD PRO's. And thought I read something about a new Samsung SSD with 3D or vertical technology or something?

Thanks guys
Samsungs have a great rep. Concerning your budget, depending on the size of SSD you want:

http://www.costhowmuch.com/t/SSDs-solid-state-drives.htm

I always double check reliability. No matter what the warranty, I never want to return a drive because of exposing my data on it...