Which type of computer component has the fastest throughput?

2048Megabytes

I was just doing a test. The following question came up:

Question: Which type of computer component has the fastest throughput when accessing data?

Their answer:
Random Access Memory

I say it is the Central Processing Unit. Which answer is right and why?

bomberboysk

I was just doing a test. The following question came up:

Question: Which type of computer component has the fastest throughput when accessing data?

Their answer:
Random Access Memory

I say it is the Central Processing Unit. Which answer is right and why?

When ACCESSING data? Level 1 cache on a cpu, Then Level 2, Then Level 3(if it has it), then the ram.

2048Megabytes

Thanks for the useful information bomberboysk. I wonder why they put RAM has the highest throughput when accessing data? The people writing these tests are supposed to have knowledge about how a computer works.

bomberboysk

Thanks for the useful information bomberboysk. I wonder why they put RAM has the highest throughput when accessing data? The people writing these tests are supposed to have knowledge about how a computer works.

I would imagine as the level 1/2/3 cache is more for repetitive tasks then actual data, you've seen ramdrive programs i assume, you ever see cache-drive programs?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I would imagine as the level 1/2/3 cache is more for repetitive tasks then actual data, you've seen ramdrive programs i assume, you ever see cache-drive programs?

That's because the CPU would suffer greatly if it loses some of it's cache to a cache-drive...