Which ver of Windows I need???

BruceY

Which ver of Windows do I need? I have a cd that's connected via FireWire and XP will have to press F6 at some point to install SATA driver. Problem is I can't find SATA driver I would install. I have heard " newer" versions of Windows doesn't have this issue. What ver is it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you are trying to install a newer version of windows on an older computer, I wouldn't even do it. It would run like crap.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Buy a $15 Sata DVDRW drive and not worry about it. If the operating system you plan on installing doesn't have a driver compatible with the firewire drive then it won't work.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A better question would be what Firewire drive do you have? As I said, if the specific device doesn't have a compatible driver for the specific OS you are trying to install, it won't work. As I said, a $15 sata dvdrw drive would solve your issues. Or even better would be to create a bootable usb flash drive with the OS on it.

strollin

To answer your question, Windows versions AFTER XP include SATA drivers.

With XP, not only would you need to press F6 to install SATA drivers, you would also need to have them on a floppy disk since XP will only look on drive A: for the drivers. The only way I know to get around that would be to slipstream the SATA drivers onto the XP install CD.

BruceY

Ok. Now I'm up to speed on SATA and win versions. If I was to stick with XP , I would have to get SATA driver pertaining to specific mobo?