Which version of linux for a first time user?

OS Dragon

Blue said:
Last I read Debian/Slackware where for Linux Pros
Yeah...I agree. Theres no way a (newbie) sorry :p ...new Linux users could get anything out of them i.e. Debian and Slackware, unless they're ace C or C++ programmers. :mad: Mandrake is for kids or complete retards (I apologize if I offended anyone). SuSe is the best distro for competent computer users and people new to Linux.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Mandrake is for kids or complete retards (I apologize if I offended anyone).

I must admit though I'm not sure why it is that people are saying that Mandrake is for kids. Could someone please elaborate?

Sebouh

OK, i am downloading the DVD version of Suse, so if i wanna get this on multiple CDs can i do that? Will the setup ask me to instert the other disks during installation?

OS Dragon

Blue said:
I must admit though I'm not sure why it is that people are saying that Mandrake is for kids. Could someone please elaborate?
I once saw the Mandrake Interface and I thought that it was incredibly simple ;). I got put off Mandrake. SuSe, in comparison seems much better OS for competent users, it offers much more feature that might be of use to the user then just learning how to use Linux :D
Sebouh said:
OK, i am downloading the DVD version of Suse, so if i wanna get this on multiple CDs can i do that? Will the setup ask me to instert the other disks during installation?
I don't think it would. Linux does have a reputation for incredibly easy installations. I think they would have changed it so that the PC recognises that its the DVD version and not the 5 CD version :D

Last edited:

Jiffyman

Mandrake good so is Xandros

The best user friendly linux operation systems are Xandros and Mandrake. Either one of those are good.

Jiffyman

Whats up with that

Hey man don't listen to what people tell you. Mandrake is not for little kids and if it was thats all the more reason to use it, it would be like taking your first baby steps into linux. What am I smokin

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I once saw the Mandrake Interface and I thought that it was incredibly simple . I got put off Mandrake. SuSe, in comparison seems much better OS for competent users, it offers much more feature that might be of use to the user then just learning how to use Linux

I seriously dissagree, it's not much different from suse really.

No you cannot, you would need to download the CD version of course.

The best user friendly linux operation systems are Xandros and Mandrake. Either one of those are good.

Really is a bold statement... Are you sure?

Hey man don't listen to what people tell you. Mandrake is not for little kids and if it was thats all the more reason to use it, it would be like taking your first baby steps into linux. What am I smokin

LOL... Well at least here we have the right idea.

username#132

Could you recommend a distrobution for a really, really old computer with just a 1 gig HD and 80 Mhz processor? Nothing too complicated if possible, though I do want to learn from it.

OS Dragon

If your looking for something that small, you should think about the small version of erm...Mandrake. Its not all that, but you should get the gist of the thing: Download Here :D (Download without Mandrakeclub benefits)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
... I am entitled to a pointless post every once and awhile..

Jiffyman said:
What am I smokin

CF does not condone smoking.

...unless you share.

I have stayed out of this conversation simply because I have used Mandrake.. and did not like it. I have tried Red Hat (Fedora Core) and did not like it. I tried SuSe and kinda liked it. Did not like Debian GNU, slackware, Knoppix ..

edit:

I still use SuSe.. so thats what I think you should try.

Last edited:

username#132

Mandrake appears to have been designed for i586 and higher. I'm not sure, but I think my old processor may be based on i386. I'm not sure that would work on this computer. Isn't there anything older you can recommend? Thanks.

Seven_Six_Two

Linux for new users?

This is just my 2 cents, but here goes nothing.
First of all, Linux itsn't as hard to use as it used to be, but sometimes making some hardware work can be difficult if you don't know what you're doing. I've been using Linux for about 6 years now, and I find it easier to use than XP.
Asking which distro is easier to use isn't a very meaningful question. That all depends on your skill level, your hardware and what you plan on using your computer for. I started out using Mandrake (now Mandriva) and I think it was a good distro for me to start with. I've since used Slackware, Ubuntu, Vector, Fedora Core and SuSe. Honestly, the differences between them aren't that big. They use different installers and package managers, and some of the programs that are installed are different, but really they're all Linux. You can use KDE or Gnome on any of them, you can compile your own software in the same way, and most of the available programs are exactly the same. Sometimes different distros use slightly different versions. The only way for you to know which is good for you is to try a few. Make your /home partition separate on your first install, and you can usually get away with reusing it (without losing data due to formatting) on your next try. If anything, your /home might get a little cluttered. I suggest checking out http://distrowatch.com for reviews and a general overview. If you stick to one of the more popular ones, you probably won't have much trouble.
I would personally recommend Ubuntu instead of SuSe, because it is currently popular and getting a lot of mindshare. I am against SuSe because of their current involvement with Microsoft (google "suse microsoft" to read about it).
If you try a distro and something doesn't "just work", don't give up on it right away. A carefully worded google search will often turn up the exact information that you're looking for, because chances are you aren't the first person to experience a problem. I hope you're experiences with Linux are as good as mine have been.