Which way do Fans blow?

davie23223

Okay, I think I get it now.

cpu fan blows into the heatsink/chip.

The PSU counts as 1 exhaust.

Top and rear end of the case are exhaust fans.

Bottom front are intake fans.

the side case fans can be exhaust or intake fans.

My question is, Do you need equal exhaust/intake fans ie. 2 exhaust 2 intakes, or do you need more exhaust fans ie. 3 exhaust 1 intake, or more intakes ie. 3 intakes 1 exhaust.

And if the side case fan is an intake, wouldnt it blow into the cpu fan witch would cause a problem?

fade2green514

depends on the heatsink, i have a heatsink that faces the back of my case. however i can tell you that whichever way the fan faces, it will always blow air through metallic fins. also, side fans blow inward, fans at the back of the case blow outward, and fans in the front of the case blow inward. that is the norm.

Greggie Boy

You want more exhaust than intake to get the warm air out. The opposite way would really defeat the purpose,lots of warm/hot air with nowhere to go(soundlike I,m describing myself) I have only one front intake,the top,two rear and large side fan are all exhaust an that's the way it was shipped(Aspire XNavigaor)

H_L

The only thing that will get damaged in a normal case fan when spinning at hi rpm is the oscillator circuit because its brushless when spinning at hi rpm it generates power forcing it back into the circuit, some fans have diodes inline the oscillator but extreme voltage will destroy it.
Trust me my fan spins over 50,000 rpm (mod)

AND hot air rises so the exhaust fans are at top, (intake bottom) unless you have a weird setup

Timo

The ones on the side blow in against the graphic card and the rest of the mobo, the one in the back blows out as does the one in the top (blow out). If there are any on the front; they blow in.

DISCLAIMER: That would seem logic to me, if the top one blows in I would reverse it myself.