Which way do Fans blow?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Archangel said:
depens on the grafics card, if you should make the front intake out exhaust ;)

The front should never be a exhaust fan, the front fan is to pull cool air in the bottom so the back fans pull hot air out no matter what video card you have, now the side fans can be tried either way to see which way is the coolest

Archangel

VIP Member
StrangleHold said:
The front should never be a exhaust fan, the front fan is to pull cool air in the bottom so the back fans pull hot air out no matter what video card you have, now the side fans can be tried either way to see which way is the coolest

o really? well, i have my front fan as exhaust, because the heatsink + fan of my 6800GT is bolowing its hot air towards the front.
so,.. instead of blowing the hot air back into the case, i pull it out there imediately. and, because of that, my 6800GT ( Oc'd to ultra ) is at 43*C idle.

so, i does matter what grafics card you have.

BrandonL

i have a question... when it comes to the fans, how would i clean then so that they take in/blow out more air? i've tried thoroughly rubbing the dust off with q-tips but it's not the best way. is there anything easier?

StrangleHold

Staff member
BrandonL said:
i have a question... when it comes to the fans, how would i clean then so that they take in/blow out more air? i've tried thoroughly rubbing the dust off with q-tips but it's not the best way. is there anything easier?

Old Tooth brush and a can of compressed Air works pretty good

StrangleHold

Staff member
Archangel said:
o really? well, i have my front fan as exhaust, because the heatsink + fan of my 6800GT is bolowing its hot air towards the front.
so,.. instead of blowing the hot air back into the case, i pull it out there imediately. and, because of that, my 6800GT ( Oc'd to ultra ) is at 43*C idle.

so, i does matter what grafics card you have.

How is your video card and fan in a different place than everybody elses, I have built over 200 computers and never have I saw someone use the front fan as a exhaust, have you ever thought that using it as a intake would be blowing cool air to the card, heat rises!

Bottom of page http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.heatsink-guide.com/airflow.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.heatsink-guide.com/case.shtml&h=584&w=530&sz=22&tbnid=I96N1WxE6aYJ:&tbnh=132&tbnw=119&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCase%2BFan%2Bplacement%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Last edited:

Archangel

VIP Member
have you ever seen the cooler on a 6800GT/ULTRA or the one on a 7800GT(X).. because, they are constructed to blow the hot air towards the front of the case. wich would make putting the front fan as exhaust a logical choise.

i think a oc'd xfx 6800GT running cooler as a non oc'd one with the front fan as intake is proof enough

Lamilia

there are many ways to put the fans i think the best is probably the highest ones are outake and the lower ones are intake (also having an equal amount of intakes and outakes probably helps) because hot air rises so lower outake fans probably do nothing

BrandonL

okay that's good because i know of a couple shops near my house that probably have them because they are computer stores.

It doesn't matter if they are Macintosh stores though does it? a comp. store is a comp. store.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
probably doesn't matter, but I haven't used a Mac since grade school so I don't know if they collect dust like PCs do. A PC parts shop will have it for sure, not sure about a Mac shop.

BrandonL

well the macs that come with towers might have fans which may contain fan cases and fans so they might sell the air compressed cans there, but idk... it's a long shot.

lol since grade school huh? way back when

Archangel

VIP Member
well.. you can also use a vacuum cleaner with a brush on the front.
i have a old p2 here, wich runns since '98, and it has clean fans.
all myou have to do is hold the Fan so it cant turn because of the vacuum cleaner sucking air through it.

because then its rpm will go way to high, and the inductors in the motor will be teared apart.

Yeti

VIP Member
because then its rpm will go way to high, and the inductors in the motor will be teared apart.
:confused: but they're DC motors (though it still might help to hold the fan blades for cleaning purposes)