Which would be better?

I would go with the second but would try to get an i5-750. That would be way faster for games than the first, no question (with i5-750). I bet the dual core would still be much faster on games but I have not researched that. I did see dual core 775 results and they did not hold back games much over the new tech, the 5850 is much faster than the 5770.
 
I agree with Gabe. I'd probably grab an i5 with a cheap Gigabyte MoBo and a 5850. My next option would be a phenom ll 955 + 5770/5850
 
What is your budget for CPU + Mobo + GPU?
i7 920 + X58 + 5770 = $640
i3 530 + P55/H55 + 5850 = $580

Anyway for $640, I would get i5 750 + P55 + 5850;
with $580, probably be PhenomII x4 955 + AMD 770/ 790X + 5850
 
I always go for Core 2 Quad, GA -EP45-UD3P with ATI Radeon 1GB HD 5770.
I use this configuration all the time for Gaming, it's awsome. You can cover this with your budget.
 
I may be getting a free video card its a GeForce GTS or GTX something friend has forgot to check for me im guessing 250/260 it was $250 about 6 months ago.

I may just go with that and the i7 if i do get that for free and make sure to keep a good mobo and maybe buy another later and link em.

Can i mix a 250 with maybe a 285 or do they only work with the same models?
 
Last edited:
if you mean the GTX260 that's a pretty good card to get for free!! and i don't think the gtx295 and the 260 work together in sli
 
Well I decided to look up facts for you. I found another good review, the i3 does very well but what become clear one again is the i5-750 is the CPU to get. I say this because it is faster than the i7-920 in more benchmarks that it looses. It is faster in every gaming benchmark and it, the mobo, and ram cost less.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3704&p=12

Oh, and if you are wondering why the i5-750 could be faster consider this. I called EA Games when I was having glitches on my games. They told me their games have issues with the i7-920 (1366 line) due to the threading. They recomended I turn off several of the cores to fix this. This fixed the problems but also slowed the game down further. They said I should just play on the i5-750 since it would not have these issues. I built the i7 after the i5 thinking it would be faster. I should have done my homework first.

Oh, the 5850 is faster than any nvidia card other than the GTX295 at this moment. It is much faster than the 275/285. More facts on this

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3650&p=4
 
Back
Top