Which XP should I used...

Scrapped>.<

hi
I have a windows XP home that comes with my Sony computer. I am trying to reinstall my computer because it is all missed up. I was thinking of Reformat my intire hardrive and do a clean WIndows install. I lost the Backup disc that comes with my computer which has my windows on it. So I was thinking of buying a WIndows XP. Should I get the XP pro or should I get the Xp home agian? MY computer has 1.5GH P4 and 512 of SDRAM and 250GB hardrive.

The things is that I read somewere about requiring an internet connection when installing the XP because I can't use it before I register and activate it. I have DSL but it will not work after I formate my hardrive since there is nothing laft. will the XP registration be able to used the DSL to go online and register eventhough there is no DSL software installed?

Christian Darrall

If i were you get XP pro. They are both the same really. But i found Home to be more stable for home PC's and PRO handles internet connections better.

Damorian

Try calling sony to see if they can send you a replacement disc. Even if it costs money it will probably be cheaper than a new copy of XP. I've worked on computers where the owner no longer had the cd, so what I did for them was use one of my xp cds and for activation call Microsoft and ramble off the code on the sticker (which you need to still have btw) and then they'd give me a seperate code to type in for activation. You can use it for 30 days without activating it, so it's not like you're in a huge rush to get drivers/software you need installed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If i were you get XP pro. They are both the same really. But i found Home to be more stable for home PC's and PRO handles internet connections better.

This thread is over 4 years old. Please stop replying to threads that are really old. Look at the date before replying to a post.