Whining computer

ZeroWing

New Member
I installed a 950W PSU into my comp today and I boot it up and the computer has a high pitched whine thats extremely annoying. When I took my old PSU out I shot some suppressed air around the case to get rid of some dust. I was wondering if the new PSU/compressed air might have dmged my computer to produce this whine. I tried my PSU on a dif comp and it was quieter then quiet. I unplugged every fan and peripheral from my whining computer and it still whined. Please let me know if you know how to solve this problem or at least to trace it to the source. Thanks.

I started up Crysis 30 min after I made this message and something in my comp got rly loud. If this PSU is trash, thats the last time I buy from newegg. Ive gotten a bad mobo, RAM, HDD, and previous PSU from them.
 
Last edited:
Sounds to me that a capacitor is going bad somewhere, they have a very high pitched whine when they are beginning to fail. Try a different PSU to see if it goes a way, if it does it's a crappy PSU. If it doesn't, then you might have a cap on the mobo thats beginning to fail. One other thing to look for, check the motherboard for any blown or bulging caps as this is a tell tale sign of a cap that has failed or is failing.

Having bad components isn't Newegg's fault, they are a wholesaler, they don't check their parts before shipment. (I can't think of any retailer who does that anyway, besides a prebuilt computer company.) Not to mention they have amazing customer service for RMA's and refunds.
 
and I thought things couldnt get any worse, ill check right now for any signs of doom on my mobo. Is it normal for a PSU to get a lot louder in a game?
 
and I thought things couldnt get any worse, ill check right now for any signs of doom on my mobo. Is it normal for a PSU to get a lot louder in a game?

Shouldn't get super loud, what kind of rig do you have? Also give me a link to your PSU on newegg.
 
Shouldn't get super loud, what kind of rig do you have? Also give me a link to your PSU on newegg.

Well, it seems to be the PSU. It gets rly loud when I play Crysis (seems like someone is waterskiing outside my house). The last time I unplugged it, you could here the electricity going through it even when it was turned off. My comp seems to have stopped whining but I honestly cant tell cause all I hear is a feint whine in my head from listening to it all day today. Heres the link. What do you think I should do, RMA for replacement or refund? I need this to power a Q6600 and 4870X2. My old PSU was 650W, im using it now while I send the new PSU away.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159072

Im so sick of RMA every other thing I buy from Newegg, but I guess its not their fault. /sigh
 
Ah, well the reason it's whining is because its Coolmax, I'm not a fan AT ALL. I've had PSU's from them go bad on me within 2 days before. I'd get a full refund and get one of these..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

It's totally capable of powering your system, it's the best rated PSU in it's class, has 1x6 pin and 1x6+2 pin for the 4870 X2, its 80-plus certified, it's a name brand AND its $10 cheaper, which will cover your shipping costs (or mostly) back to The Egg.
 
Back
Top