Who else does this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

massahwahl

VIP Member
I was in walmart last night and walked through the clearance isle to see what they were discounting. There was a guy in the electronics section looking at a 250gig Maxtor IDE internal hdd with a clearance sticker of '$160'. This hard drive has been in the same spot for at least a year and I looked at the guy and said 'you know the 500 gig version of that exact same hard drive is $120 online right?'

The guy smiled and said 'really??' So I pulled out my blackberry and looked it up for him on amazon and he was speechless. Then I showed him the same hdd he was looking at was selling $80.

Walmart is the only company possibly dumber than best buy...

Irishwhistle

I was in walmart last night and walked through the clearance isle to see what they were discounting. There was a guy in the electronics section looking at a 250gig Maxtor IDE internal hdd with a clearance sticker of '$160'. This hard drive has been in the same spot for at least a year and I looked at the guy and said 'you know the 500 gig version of that exact same hard drive is $120 online right?'

The guy smiled and said 'really??' So I pulled out my blackberry and looked it up for him on amazon and he was speechless. Then I showed him the same hdd he was looking at was selling $80.

Wow... I could go on newegg right now and order a 500GB WD IDE hard drive for $70... Seagate has a SATA one for $60.

Their pricing on RAM is a joke... I got 2X 1GB sticks of Kingston 800 RAM from newegg for $20. They have the same stuff at Walmart for $40 per stick!!! That's four times as much. :eek:

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
You guys are totally forgetting something. Walmart and Bestbuy have store fronts and warehouses which cost money to run. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Newegg just is a warehouse and a website they don't have any middle men. There are advantages to buying at a retail store over a website but those advantages do not come from cost saving.

Dell has no retail front and they only do direct which is how they can slash some prices sometimes.

I have had issues with newegg rebates, at least with a store I can go back and bitch to somebody in person and hope they give me my rebate directly.

Irishwhistle

You guys are totally forgetting something. Walmart and Bestbuy have store fronts and warehouses which cost money to run. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Newegg just is a warehouse and a website they don't have any middle men. There are advantages to buying at a retail store over a website but those advantages do not come from cost saving.

Dell has no retail front and they only do direct which is how they can slash some prices sometimes.

I have had issues with newegg rebates, at least with a store I can go back and bitch to somebody in person and hope they give me my rebate directly.

The good thing about Walmart is that they don't know much about the stuff they're selling so they'll let you return just about anything regardless of what happened and how it happened.

Egon

The good thing about Walmart is that they don't know much about the stuff they're selling so they'll let you return just about anything regardless of what happened and how it happened.
That's not 100% true. Pepsi was doing this sweepstakes thing and a ton of people had found a loophole to get free infinite points to buy things with. Needless to say, they wiped the Pepsi store clean. Some people tried to return dvds and stuff they got from the sweepstakes to walmart for money. Walmart actually did not accept the dvds and stuff because they "didn't sell them."

El DJ

I once asked a Best Buy employee whether a Pentium 4 Extreme or a Q6600 was better and he said the P4 Extreme because "It's an extreme processor so it obviously has more power than the Q6600 which is not extreme."
Yes, that is the sound of 1,000,000 people facepalming.

Ramodkk

VIP Member

Their pricing on RAM is a joke... I got 2X 1GB sticks of Kingston 800 RAM from newegg for $20. They have the same stuff at Walmart for $40 per stick!!! That's four times as much. :eek:

LOL that's nothing. BestBuy has a pair of PNY PC2-6400 1GB's for $350 :p

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8298576&type=product&id=1172881539154

Not to mention their $470 8800GTS (G80) :rolleyes:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...00gts&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1177112455478

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

I once asked a Best Buy employee whether a Pentium 4 Extreme or a Q6600 was better and he said the P4 Extreme because "It's an extreme processor so it obviously has more power than the Q6600 which is not extreme."

Yeah that never happened.....

bebopin64

but the P4Extreme is better by virtue of having Extreme in the name

just a noob

i feel sad for some of the people that work for bestbuy(the ones that actually know something) so i don't do it around them :p some guy pointed me towards xbox games when i asked where are the graphics cards :S

d3adpoetic

i feel sad for some of the people that work for bestbuy(the ones that actually know something) so i don't do it around them :p some guy pointed me towards xbox games when i asked where are the graphics cards :S

sad. i actually know enough about this stuff to be a good sales person but i cant even get a job there...annoying.

luckyedboy66

haha, while we are ragging on best buy, me and my brother were looking to make a 75ft network cable, and the Geeksquad rep said that cat5 cant go more than 50ft. lol, cat5 is actually lossless up to 100m.

Motoxrdude

It truly, sadly, did. Most Best Buy employees really don't know anything about computers at all, and don't understand that a Q6600 is a quad core. They fail.

Yeah and a lot of teens on forums think they know it all and come up with some fake story to prove it. Don't try and deny it either, there are countless number of people just like.

DirtyD86

banned
It truly, sadly, did. Most Best Buy employees really don't know anything about computers at all, and don't understand that a Q6600 is a quad core. They fail.

i wouldn't be surprised if this really did happen. best buy has a policy now where the employees are cross trained in all departments, that means the 18 year old blonde that was hired to be a cashier is also now selling computers.

El DJ

Yeah and a lot of teens on forums think they know it all and come up with some fake story to prove it. Don't try and deny it either, there are countless number of people just like.
How would you know if it really happened or not?
I know that it did, it's really not that big of a deal to me whether or not some dude from California that I'll never even meet believes me or not. Grats on looking like a douche.

Motoxrdude

How would you know if it really happened or not?
I know that it did, it's really not that big of a deal to me whether or not some dude from California that I'll never even meet believes me or not. Grats on looking like a douche.

I can tell when people are lying. I actually have a degree in cross communications psycho analysis, so that's how I know you are lying :p

Status
Not open for further replies.