Who is on the lookout for the next greatest MMORPG?

Scubie67

Ive been looking for awhile now for a game that was as well done as AC was,real sandbox type stuff,large open world and huge dungeons as well as alot of them.There are a few games that may be coming out that peak my intrest,well see. I dont think the genre is dead its just looking for something different and well made which is hard because everyone wants to copy WOW.

epidemik

Yeah i definitely agree. I would love to have an mmorpg for when i get sick of playing fps but it doesnt seem like theres anything out there right now thats absolutely great.

WOW is getting old. I tried warhammer this past week and it was pretty broken. Required some file editing just to get the game to install. I didnt really find it too appealing either.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I hate all MMOs but the only one I would consider playing is Star Wars the Old Republic since the trailer for it, looked so freaking awesome.

I just can't justify paying a subscription for a time sync game that really doesn't take any skill to play. All MMOs are the same cookie cutter approach. Tank + DPS + Healing, which means half the classes are generally not needed.

Scubie67

I hate all MMOs but the only one I would consider playing is Star Wars the Old Republic since the trailer for it, looked so freaking awesome.

I just can't justify paying a subscription for a time sync game that really doesn't take any skill to play. All MMOs are the same cookie cutter approach. Tank + DPS + Healing, which means half the classes are generally not needed.

Naw they not all like that .AC wasnt like that ,you choose skills not a set cookie cutter class you can make an archer with spell casting for instance,I hate cookie cutter to .Some games like AC are keyboard manipulation games you have to dodge projectiles and spells to Pk ,also spells and arrows would track you but if you jumped behind a boulder or a building,tree etc . ,it would be blocked, so it was very dexterity based.The reason the genre is having so much trouble is most of the developers keep copying WOW,it didnt used to be that way

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

They need some good MMORPG/FPS games, but with more to do obviously. I just like the size of the maps in Warhammer/WoW, and the action and graphics from COD4, I guess something like Battlefield 2, but better and with all the bells and whistles. Kind of like GTAIV, but with a more COD feeling.

Archangel

VIP Member
They need some good MMORPG/FPS games, but with more to do obviously. I just like the size of the maps in Warhammer/WoW, and the action and graphics from COD4, I guess something like Battlefield 2, but better and with all the bells and whistles. Kind of like GTAIV, but with a more COD feeling.

Supply a Mechwarrior MMO tbh :p
with each clan beeing fighting over galactic domination etc. (that always seems to work right)
I honestly think a Mechwarrior MMO would be great.

That Star Wars MMO looks quite brilliant too. altough, In the gameplay trailer, I found the movements to look pretty weird... I really hope they make the combat system a bit more fluent than that.

Dropkickmurphys

I want to know what the next Blizzard MMORPG is going to be....Apparantly it's not going to be related to any of their other games, and I believe it is going to be the only game to beat WoW down....

Twist86

Not me after World of Warcraft I am so burned out on MMO I actually hate the idea of playing one.

I prefer offline RPGs like Oblivion/Morrowind.....fun to play no "never ending content" and best of all no 4 hour+ raiding/pvp for gear.

Eatskittens

I agree Twist86 offline RPG's definately more more fun to me. I dont have the patience to wait for a couple hundred dubs to get their crap together just so I can do a raid.

Aastii

VIP Member
WoW:BC was the perfect MMORPG...then blizzard went and messed up with wotlk. If they had left it fine and dandy at BC i would have stayed for ever because it was so much fun, wotlk got so boring so fast.

I think an fps mmorpg where you are maybe in an army or something, or you act as a merc and instead of clans or guilds or whatever you build up an army of other players and there aren't levels per se, you just get skill ups and to learn new skills you don't get talent trees and such you would have to do certain things or use certain movemen/key combinations or do something in a certain way to learn the skill and then you would have to repeatadly use it in the correct siutation to skill it up. Then you would get skill for your character but it would take skill to be able to do it so you yourself would gain skill.

For those that like the current quest system of go kill x monsters, go kill monsters and get x itmes, got retrieve this item etc there would be that with the merc stage when you go solo stuff, for those that like pvp or fps games like CoD the armies you amass or are part of would fill that criteria too and you should be able to start a battle anywhere you like on the map and npc's would act accordingly, so, if you start shelling a building where there a few of an army in then the npc's near and around would run off screaming, npc's near the building would maybe be hurt or killed so there would be corpses near by.

There could also be war scene sort of things, so maybe a building full of terrorists that you must clear, that is the "dungeon" sort from your typical MMORPGs. And for factions you could have say countries armies (marines, SAS etc) and terrorists.

That would be cool :p

Watch a big game developer accidentaly stumble onto this page now and go oh my god, that is brilliant!! and go and make the game. look out for it in the next few years and remember back to reading this ;)

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
If they had a FPS MMO that was free that was also a tactical shooter like say combine Rainbow Six Vegas 2 with the team based style of TF2 and CSS, and BF2 with leveling, attributes, tons of gadgets and gear and then specializing in your class would be a good game. Of course you could also rank up and if you wanted to be a pure tactician you could rank your character up to a general and control the battle by giving out orders.

It would require tactics since you can use cover to your advantage. You could have a variety of missions, and have PVP or PVE, say take out a bunch of terrorist for example. It could be massive or squad based. You could hop online and fight other clans, or join a pub and either do free for all death match, team based, or you and some friends can hop online and play against the AI.

You could have factions/clans and the outcome of certain large battles could change the server side settings.

That way you could always just hop on and play on a variety of different levels or you could get organized and do massive events.

Then keep adding map packs and have an open world where you could interact and trade with people. Make it a bit in the future so you can have powered armor and laser guns and stuff and as your character progresses you get more equipment.

I played the first EQ forever and it was by far the best MMO in my mind and everything else was pretty much a clone off of that and follows the cookie cutter approach of tank + healer + DPS, which also follows every MMO I have tried out. I tried both WoW and EQ2 when they came out, and was dead bored with in a month of playing. Canceled both accounts and haven't looked back since.

I didn't play UO really and that was the original I know but I didn't think it was the best.

N3crosis

Fallen Earth looks pretty cool, although it doesn't have the greatest graphics. It is basically a Fallout MMO, but cooler IMO. Also, Global Agenda and Planetside are MMO's you guys should look out for, as some of the people have already suggested things similar to Planetside (I don't know if the servers are still active or not).

tlarkin

VIP Member
Fallen Earth looks pretty cool, although it doesn't have the greatest graphics. It is basically a Fallout MMO, but cooler IMO. Also, Global Agenda and Planetside are MMO's you guys should look out for, as some of the people have already suggested things similar to Planetside (I don't know if the servers are still active or not).

I got to play planet side for free since I played EQ and Sony hosted the game. It was fun for about a week before it started to suck. It was very short sighted in design and the graphics and game play also sucked.

It was not a very good game. I got a 30 day free pass since I was a customer of Verrant.

N3crosis

I got to play planet side for free since I played EQ and Sony hosted the game. It was fun for about a week before it started to suck. It was very short sighted in design and the graphics and game play also sucked.

It was not a very good game. I got a 30 day free pass since I was a customer of Verrant.

Ah, I've never played it, I have just read about it so I guess the information they supply is decieving.

Archangel

VIP Member
If they had a FPS MMO that was free that was also a tactical shooter like say combine Rainbow Six Vegas 2 with the team based style of TF2 and CSS, and BF2 with leveling, attributes, tons of gadgets and gear and then specializing in your class would be a good game. Of course you could also rank up and if you wanted to be a pure tactician you could rank your character up to a general and control the battle by giving out orders.

Mechwarrior! :p ( take a bunch of scout Mechs to take on a siege Mech. )

Rockets, lasers, gauss guns, scifi action. a whole bunch of planets in conflicts. and a load of novels to back the story of such a game up.

I still wonder why they havn't made a mechwarrior MMO yet tbh. iirc Microsoft sold the rights for that game back in 2007 already.

N3crosis

Rockets, lasers, gauss guns, scifi action. a whole bunch of planets in conflicts. and a load of novels to back the story of such a game up.

I still wonder why they havn't made a mechwarrior MMO yet tbh. iirc Microsoft sold the rights for that game back in 2007 already.

They are making a mod for the original Crysis, supposedly an MMOish Mechwarrior... I forget what it is called give me a minute...

Edit: It is called Mechwarrior: Living Legends.

tlarkin

VIP Member

I would prefer squad based MMO with medics, snipers, heavies, demolitions, spec ops, and then add in the vehicles like mechs hover craft and such later on. Kind of like quake wars but with an MMO aspect and several factions to join up and fight along with. I think with all mechs it may get boring.

I think mechwarrior would be cool for online play but to play it each month and pay for it, eh not sure. Also, IIRC, Microprose released the Mechwarrior code to open source, or at least a few of the games. Which may be why it took so long to get it or may be why it is so hard to claim the rights. A gaming publisher probably wouldn't touch open source code on a game. Too much room for exploits/cheats, and people not paying for the product (compiling their own builds).

I think perhaps some of the Mechwarrior rights went along with that. Not sure though.

Archangel

VIP Member
I dont mean the rights for the game engine, but for the story and names. (after all, even the word 'Mech' was copyrighted iirc. o_O )

Scubie67

I played Mechwarrior from 3 on up to Merc 4 .They were fun games.I waited and then they cancelled MW 5 due probably to the Mech assault series for consoles which is terrible.Last I heard the originators or something to that effect have bought back the rights but havent done anything with it yet.

Sunder FTW !