Who remembers ATI?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The ATI HD4870 was my last ATI card, but my first major card (previous card was a GeForce 9600GSO, which I sold to someone on here). But yes, it was weird to then buy an AMD HD6870.

Darren

Staff member
This thread amuses me, simply because I pretty much didn't know what ATI was until after they were already gone.

C4C

This thread amuses me, simply because I pretty much didn't know what ATI was until after they were already gone.

^

My dad's always bought Nvidia cards. First GPU was a GeForce Ti 4200, then a GeForce 8400GS. The latter stuck around until my dad bought an iMac in 2009 (with some already outdated Radeon card), and I built my first rig in 2014 (AMD 860K / R9 280X).

WhoX

My very first graphics card was an ATI Mach64 4MB VRAM, purchased in 1995. I've also owned a couple of Matrox Mystique cards. Since then I have switched back and forth between AMD and NVIDIA.

The VCR King

Fixed that for you ;)
I used to have two 6950s in Crossfire but when I installed my memory card reader a few months after I got the PC I made the rookie mistake of working on carpet... I had to take out the bottom 6950 card because it hovered over the USB header I needed, and where did I put the card at? I set it aside... on the carpet... while I worked. I put the carpet-card back in the PC and it made a noise then never worked again. So I only had one card after that but without two cards in crossfire I never really noticed any difference in performance at all so I'm not mad.

Darren

Staff member
I used to have two 6950s in Crossfire but when I installed my memory card reader a few months after I got the PC I made the rookie mistake of working on carpet... I had to take out the bottom 6950 card because it hovered over the USB header I needed, and where did I put the card at? I set it aside... on the carpet... while I worked. I put the carpet-card back in the PC and it made a noise then never worked again. So I only had one card after that but without two cards in crossfire I never really noticed any difference in performance at all so I'm not mad.
If you didn't notice a difference you weren't doing Crossfire right.

The VCR King

If you didn't notice a difference you weren't doing Crossfire right.
In GPU-Z I remember it said Crossfire: On so I assumed it was working.

Even though its AMD we are talking about, there should have been some degree of performance boost, slight though..
Might have been slight, because I didn't notice any decrease after I killed the card. But remember, this is back in 2014 when I didn't know crap about computers (I mean for christ's sake I put a $300 component on CARPET!) and I've learned more since then. If this happened recently maybe I would have noticed a decrease but back then I didn't realize any difference.

Laquer Head

In GPU-Z I remember it said Crossfire: On so I assumed it was working.

Might have been slight, because I didn't notice any decrease after I killed the card. But remember, this is back in 2016 when I didn't know crap about computers (I mean for christ's sake I put a $300 component on CARPET!) and I've learned more since then. If this happened recently maybe I would have noticed a decrease but back then I didn't realize any difference.

I was more razzing @Darren .. but I've edited your post for you...it's like a 2 for 1 razzing!