Who thinks Blu-Ray is a waste of time?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I watch movies on a 50" plasma with my PS3 and I think the quality is simply amazing. I've purchased a few movies and I don't really mind the added expense - it's worth it, IMO. Once Netflix starts carrying Blu-Ray movies I'll probably renew my account.

brian

VIP Member
I watch movies on a 50" plasma with my PS3 and I think the quality is simply amazing. I've purchased a few movies and I don't really mind the added expense - it's worth it, IMO. Once Netflix starts carrying Blu-Ray movies I'll probably renew my account.

they do. they have a tun of blu ray

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Dishing out that extra money doesn't make sense to me. I won't be going Blu-Ray.

Mmm, I don't know about that! ;)

Of course is not a good idea to dish out all that money for a Blu-ray now, a Blu-ray burner is like $700+ so I get what you're saying but prices have to and will come down just like they have done with all kinds of new stuff that comes out. :)

soccerdude

In my opinion right now it is a waste. However in a year or two the prices will drop and it will probably be the new standard for watching movies. To conclude right now it is a waste but it the future it will not be.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
If we're talking about Blu-Ray optical drives, then, yeah, I don't think it's worth the money. On the other hand, if you have a high def TV and want to watch high def movies, Blu-Ray is the way to go. The HD-DVD format isn't going to last, IMO.

Verve

and DVDs will still be produced for a long time as there will still be a large market for them - what percentage of TV's are big enough to justify HD anyway? Think people with portable DVD players, why would you want a blu-ray portable? DVD quality is more than enough for a 7" screen IMO.

brian

VIP Member
yeah but for like you know your home entertanment sys with like a 64" tv... and 5.1-7.1 surround. yeah blu-ray kicks butt. but yeah blu-ray i dont see in a portable... but as prices come down its going to be as cheep as a dvd today so we just go with it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If you don't have the TV for it, then it's a waste. I personally have a 57" Samsung DLP HDTV and have seen the quality of HD on it through the HD cable channels and it is simply amazing.

The only reason I'm waiting for a little while longer is for the prices to come down a little more and for the technology to improve a little more. I jumped on the DVD bandwagon right away and it was one of my better choices. Not the case with Blu-ray just yet.

Archangel

VIP Member
I'm pretty sure blue-ray will suffer the same 'fate' as the Minidisk. I mean, the minidisk was absolutely great too, way better than CD's, yet it never became a big standard.

The holodisk will break the Blue-ray's neck, of that I'm sure. its faster, has more capacity and its cheaper. the technology is there already, but its beeing held back because they want to squeeze the profit out of the blue-ray first. at least, thats as far as i know, and tbh, it wouldnt really supprise me if its 100% true :)

funkysnair

VIP Member
I'm pretty sure blue-ray will suffer the same 'fate' as the Minidisk. I mean, the minidisk was absolutely great too, way better than CD's, yet it never became a big standard.

i agree strongly with that...

i had a yamaha mini disk seperate for my stacker system and it was amazing compared to cd-also got a £250 sony one but i then realised that it was very hard to get albums for them

ended up using them for just copying my dj mixes-what a waste of technology

massahwahl

VIP Member
i agree strongly with that...

i had a yamaha mini disk seperate for my stacker system and it was amazing compared to cd-also got a £250 sony one but i then realised that it was very hard to get albums for them

ended up using them for just copying my dj mixes-what a waste of technology

I had a portable one long before MP3 players were the 'cool' thing and people used to think the minidisc was the greatest invention sinced sliced bread. They were relatively inexpensive as well, but come to think of it, I dont think I EVER saw an album released on minidisc. I used to buy blanks and make my own.

funkysnair

VIP Member
I had a portable one long before MP3 players were the 'cool' thing and people used to think the minidisc was the greatest invention sinced sliced bread. They were relatively inexpensive as well, but come to think of it, I dont think I EVER saw an album released on minidisc. I used to buy blanks and make my own.

HMV done a few when i looked, asked at the counter for a album in mini disk that wasnt there and i told me point blank that less than 1% of music was put on minidisk

there was like half a shelf of minidisk albums and single and that was it lol---------\/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modus-Operandi-MINIDISC-Photek/dp/B00004WPGJ

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I don't remember ever seeing albums released for mini disk. I went to boy scout camp one summer and one of the assistants had one and he just transferred his MP3's to them.
My band director has a mini disk that he uses to record playing tests (so he doesn't have to miss rehearsal to listen to the students) and entire pieces so the band knows what they sound like. Really great quality!

My dad was rifling through a drawer the other night and came across his Diamond Rio MP3 player (bought in like 2000 I think) :D It had the capacity to hold 16 mb of songs on internal memory, then he had two flash cards he put in (about double the size of an SD card, but larger looking) and each had a 16 MB capacity, except for the larger one that had 32MB capacity. Definitely shows how times have changed and how fast too!

sho95

Well as of today blue ray has officially taken over. As for the price I still don't know why people have so much problems with it. They cost the same as when a DVD movie came out for the first time. Sounds like the poster has more issues with SONY that the actual format just get over it cause you"ll will be getting them in the long run.