Who to call first...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Machine Check Error...

0x0000009c (0x00000001, 0x8055b780, 0xb6000000, 0x00000181)

I've gotten this same error code many times so I know the problem is constant and apparently hardware related seeing as I have updated and downgraded all my drivers...

I do not think this is power supply related... If it was, wouldn't the machine just reboot?

I usally get this error in games, but I've also gotten it while the machine was idle. Possible something with SATA? I'll check the drives for bad sectors...

I tested the memory, it passed. I'm going to do it once more but with only one stick at a time.

USB workes fine, happens when I have a USB hub connected or nothing connected.

Pulled my TV-Tuner out, it's not the problem

Reloaded with Server 2003(originally XP Pro...) Still occures, but I see the error screen.

I think that's all. PLEEEEAAASSE help me. I must have this machine tip top shape by mid August for college!

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Does this happen more frequently with one circumstance than another, or just kinda random? I know I was having similar problems, and it turned out that Windows had been installed a little bad, reinstalled (not recovered) and magically worked again!!! :)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Before 2003, it seemed to be more in windows, usally just random, but rarely in games. Now, it seem to be mostly in games, but still quite random in windows as well... I too have had bad installs of windows and hae reloaded because of that(well, loaded 2003) and the problem still occuers...

Oh, and it's the red system...

XHotxEx791

Check your capacitors on the mobo. Could be source of problems. Just cause the ram passed memtest, doesn't mean that the system is addressing the memory properly. Also scanning for spyware,virus,etc. wouldn't hurt either.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The system has been reloaded within the past 48 hours, and I had the same error as before, so I know it's not a virus. I'll inspect the mobo closer tommarow. I never bothered scanning the RAM one SIMM at a time. Does this make a real difference or would something of been picked up with both in there?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Yeah yeah... OK I'll try that very old driver and see what happens... I tried older ones but I forgot to go bad as far as you mentioned.

riddick

It almost sounds like a memory error. When the load is on the memory(i.e. games) that is when the error happens. I would check it a stick at a time and see what happens. I had something similar happen to me and it was a bad stick of memory...

Platinum

CAUSE
This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP. To do this, the processor used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of some Pentium Pro processors. The following factors may cause this error message:
• System bus errors
• Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems
• Cache errors in the processor or hardware
• Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
• Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
• Vendor-specific detected hardware problems

STATUS
This behavior is by design.

MORE INFORMATION
A machine check exception occurs when Windows XP and your hardware platform cannot recover from a hardware error so that the system can continue to run successfully and reliably. More specific diagnosis of machine check exceptions is difficult, and there is no general solution. Contact your hardware manufacturer or a computer hardware technician for help with troubleshooting this issue.

Machine check exceptions are frequently caused by one of the following conditions:
• You are running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, you are overclocking the processor or bus. We recommend that you run your hardware at the manufacturer-rated speeds.
• Noisy power, overstressed power strips, outmatched power supplies and failing power supplies can destabilize your computer. Make sure that you have a stable, reliable power supply to your computer.
• Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans may damage your computer. Make sure that your cooling devices are all working.
• You have damaged memory or memory that is not the correct type for your computer. If you recently changed the memory configuration, revert to the previous configuration to determine what is wrong. Make sure that you are using the correct memory for your computer.
Note Your hardware may support additional error logging features that capture the machine check exception and suggest a more specific solution.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Dragon - Thanks for the waste of time... The 5X.XX drivers don't even support the 6800 :mad: I went over to the 61.76 drivers. Race Driver 2 ran well for the 10 minutes or so I played it... It would do that other times too, or sometimes it would lock up within the first minute. I'll play it again later.

riddick - So it makes a difference if you check it one stick at a time? I guess I shall try that later when I'm studying... Or if it messes up again and really pisses me off :mad:

Platinum - Yes, I found that page myself a while back, but it wasn't too helpful IMO.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I never bothered scanning the RAM one SIMM at a time. Does this make a real difference or would something of been picked up with both in there?
Well it depends how you're scanning but generally no.

Dragon - Thanks for the waste of time... The 5X.XX drivers don't even support the 6800
Im assuming you're referring to a suggestion Dragon made ... well if so, you chose to accept that suggestion ... there's no point in getting all hostile about it on the forum (and although i can understand the aggrevation ... it's still not ... hmmm .... 'appropriate').

Now as for your problem
1. I assume you're not running the box in an OC'd state. For troubleshooting purposes, you may want to consider running the machine in a downclocked-state even

2. Now to isolate the subsystems, have a run at Prime95 for a bit (to isolate the videocard) ... does it pass that? (say 10 or 20 passes)

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
*growl and hisss* I'm just irritated at this computer and my server. Pardon my irrate snappyness :p

Sure, I can try to underclock it sometime... And no, never overclocked. The few times I tried the turbo mode on Abit's overclocking prog simply locked my machine up...

Prime95? OK, I'll look for that and give it a shot...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The first streetest worked fine. Still going, or course... Man, I'm trying to keep this beast cool during this test, but it sounds like a vacuum in here or something! These 120mm fans really scream!

Edit...

Urm...how demanding is this stress test? I just played Race Driver 2 with absolutely no lag. :eek: That's on the max detail settings too. I guess it's mostly dependant on the GPU, but still... :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
*growl and hisss* I'm just irritated at this computer and my server. Pardon my irrate snappyness
Hehe believe me i know the feeling

The first streetest worked fine. Still going, or course... Man, I'm trying to keep this beast cool during this test, but it sounds like a vacuum in here or something! These 120mm fans really scream!
You can, for the most part, rule out CPU. And to some degree, your RAM and motherboard should be ok. That leaves the videocard so try and benchmark the videocard (hopefully isolating just the videocard) ... also you may consider downclocking the video card (again for diagnostic purposes) using something like RivaTuner

The_Other_One

VIP Member
OK... I'll use it a little more and see how it works... If it locks up I'll try the benchmark. It hasn't locked up since I went to the old 6X.XX drivers! *knock on wood*

Oh yeah, I added a new fan to my video card. No, that's no the problem, it was occuring before this! But would that mess up my warrenty? I still have the old one that I could put back on it...

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Call 9-1-1 - this is an emergency. =\ heh

Eh....? Try and be sensible.

Sorry about that mis-hap with the driver not supporting 6800, i wasnt aware of that, still i think that the newest drivers have a lot of bugs in them. I had the exact same problem as you and whittled it down to be a graphics card problem, i RMA'd it TWICE and the same thign kept happening, i tried stress testing and benchmarking on everything and as soon as i downgraded to a really OLD graphics driver it worked a trea...... maybe just a coincidence, but still a thought.

I knwo your irritation from persona experience too well. You spend a LOT of money on a rig to be able to play games and when it doesnt do what its supposed to do it is very annoying. For a short while i had the same problem on my music streaming server aswell, not the most improtnant server but still it pissed me off something cronic. I'd be listening to some music in my room (streamed from the server) and up pops errors about it lost the stream source, pop my head round the door into the cupboard and the bloody server's just booting through DOS again. GRRRRR (and *hisssss* for that matter).

You will sort it out soon, theres only a certain number of things it can be and it will be found sooner or later, probably sooner seeing all the tests youve done.

dragon2309

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I sure hope so... Man it's annoying. And what's worse is that it's not(or didn't used to be) that constant. I mean it was like every week! I could play games and everything. But when it felt like it...POOF. Ugh, I'd kick it but I don't have the heart to :p

Anyway, it's been ok with those old drivers. I'll try Race Driver again and maybe grab some other programs if it continues to work. Odd how the old drivers work so well, if that is the problem... My Radeon had the opposite problem...and I had to upgrade the drivers later on due to compatability issues with some games!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I could play games and everything. But when it felt like it...POOF. Ugh, I'd kick it but I don't have the heart to
Do a visual inspection of the mobo's caps