Who's Ready for Fallout 4!

gamblingman

VIP Member
The wife and I are losing our minds waiting on that game to come out! We've seen the trailers, read the info from Bethesda, enjoy the fan art, etc... THIS GAME CANT COME OUT SOON ENOUGH! I cant believe I dont see a mile long page of Fallout on here, this release is bigger than.... well not as big as sliced bread because sandwiches are awesome.... but its enormous!!!

I'm hoping the armor is upgradeable and useable as a plot device that upgrades to be able to access different areas as you move through the story line. Maybe it will prevent them adding all the stupid invisible walls like in NV. Will there be air an air battle?! We've seen the trailers where it looks like the constitution has jet engines on it and what looks like a zeppelin or other air ship flying over the city. Will we get to side with one faction to fly the Constitution and shoot down the other flying ship? That would be awesome in my book, maybe they'll even add a decent cut scene for it like they've done for other events like destroying the mobile command base.

Comeon! Channel your insanity for Fallout! What do you want to see?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Vault 13 4 LIFE!

I wish the new installments were more like the original, maybe just a 3D take on the old isometric engine. Turn based combat with crazy NPCs. Don't get me wrong, Fallout 3 was fun enough but it just felt like an FPS with a bullettime gimmick.

I'm most interested in seeing how they modeled the Boston area.

gamblingman

VIP Member
Vault 13 4 LIFE!

I wish the new installments were more like the original, maybe just a 3D take on the old isometric engine. Turn based combat with crazy NPCs. Don't get me wrong, Fallout 3 was fun enough but it just felt like an FPS with a bullettime gimmick.

I'm most interested in seeing how they modeled the Boston area.

I love that they picked Boston. I'm hoping they did something cool with Faneuil Hall like maybe theres a vault underneath.

Brian Hum

I'm extremely looking forward to the game. I know it's gotten away from it's origins as turn based but Fallout 4 more or less fits every definition of my ideal game. The only thing that bugged me about Fallout 3 was the non-VATS shooting wasn't very good as anyone who's played it could tell you but 4 looks like it will be more or less first-person shooter quality in that regard. The added customizing weapons and ability to build your own town means I might have no life for a while.

Funny enough I was on the fence about upgrading my computer before they announced FO4 (sadly still have a 1GB Radeon 6850 GPU) and immediately after that started planning on upgrading my computer. Got it narrowed down to just upgrading my GPU sometime in the next week.

Darren

Staff member
I've never truly played a Fallout game, but I'm getting fairly interested in this one. I have FO3 and F:NV, but have yet to make any headway in either past the tutorial.

I might get FO4 come Christmas time, depending on performance and reviews.

Mez

I am more than ready. Hopefully Amazon is able to get my Fallout 4 Pipboy edition to me in time.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Disclaimer: I do NOT condone the pirating of copyrighted material, nor am I providing any information about how to go about pirating copyrighted material. Below I'm only stating my views on anti-piracy measures taken in this game.

I was looking forward to playing this game, but it looks like I won't be able to play it for the time being. At the moment I have very slow internet, about 50kbs download with data caps, so downloading the game is not an option for me. I thought I could get around this problem by buying the physical media (CD's), but I have just found out that a huge portion of the game is going to be missing off the retail disk in an effort to stop piracy, because the people who know how to circumvent protection in games don't know how to download from the internet o_O. This has been done before a few times and clearly does not work as the game protection is always circumvented sooner or later and then distributed through different channels. The people who are going to be effected are those who have no or slow and/or capped internet connections, which is a hell of a lot of people even these days, even including people in rich countries with good infrastructure. This means people with good internet connections can choose to pirate or legally download the game, but those with poor internet connections who want to legally purchase the game, now don't have the option of buying the physical media, but you can be sure that pirated physical media will include all the game data.
Withholding game data like this is only going hurt legitimate customers and encourage those with poor internet connections to pirate the game. I personally am perfectly willing to buy this game legally and have the money in my pocket ready, but the only way I would be able to play this game is to pirate it, though I won't.

Darren

Staff member
Disclaimer: I do NOT condone the pirating of copyrighted material, nor am I providing any information about how to go about pirating copyrighted material. Below I'm only stating my views on anti-piracy measures taken in this game.

I was looking forward to playing this game, but it looks like I won't be able to play it for the time being. At the moment I have very slow internet, about 50kbs download with data caps, so downloading the game is not an option for me. I thought I could get around this problem by buying the physical media (CD's), but I have just found out that a huge portion of the game is going to be missing off the retail disk in an effort to stop piracy, because the people who know how to circumvent protection in games don't know how to download from the internet o_O. This has been done before a few times and clearly does not work as the game protection is always circumvented sooner or later and then distributed through different channels. The people who are going to be effected are those who have no or slow and/or capped internet connections, which is a hell of a lot of people even these days, even including people in rich countries with good infrastructure. This means people with good internet connections can choose to pirate or legally download the game, but those with poor internet connections who want to legally purchase the game, now don't have the option of buying the physical media, but you can be sure that pirated physical media will include all the game data.
Withholding game data like this is only going hurt legitimate customers and encourage those with poor internet connections to pirate the game. I personally am perfectly willing to buy this game legally and have the money in my pocket ready, but the only way I would be able to play this game is to pirate it, though I won't.

That's kind of a scummy move, but I wonder if they'll eventually have a way to circumnavigate the issue or maybe send installation media upon request. I have no idea how their DRM policy will work, but it might be possible to download the files with an internet connection and then transfer on an external HDD. It's a pain, but better than not playing it I guess. Fear not about your disclaimer, you're fine. :)

Shlouski

VIP Member
That's kind of a scummy move, but I wonder if they'll eventually have a way to circumnavigate the issue or maybe send installation media upon request. I have no idea how their DRM policy will work, but it might be possible to download the files with an internet connection and then transfer on an external HDD. It's a pain, but better than not playing it I guess. Fear not about your disclaimer, you're fine. :)

Surely after installing the game and downloading the extra files it will be possible to copy paste them where you want, if you were to re-install the game then it should just be a matter of copy paste the missing files into the appropriate locations, you will still need to login to play the game. Also if you were to buy it on steam then I assume you should still be able to do a steam backup after everything is download and installed, then re-install from the backup without needing to download everything. I believe they did the with skyrim, they left data off the retail cd, though it didn't help one little bit to protect it from piracy, I can also make a full backup of skyrim on steam without needing to download more when re-installing it. Leaving data of the retail disks to prevent piracy seeming makes no sense.

Darren

Staff member
I manually copy and paste my steam games around all the time just without any issue. I agree, the tactic seems pointless. I feel like tighter and tighter DRM makes piracy all that more likely to thrive in protest of it. It seems that ease of access, reasonable pricing (particularly on older stuff), and the like would help more than anything. Consumers are too smart to not be able to get around pretty much any DRM you come up with. It's just a matter of time. I don't pirate games simply because Steam is so convenient and easy to use along with the low prices.

Reactions: C4C

tylerjrb

Got the game pre-loaded on steam today £47 with the season pass, really looking forward to it looks awesome :).

I also agree with darren. I just transfered my games from my 2TB to my new 4TB drive and also have a backup of them on my 5TB External HDD Dont really want to download over 1TB of games if my main HDD dies lol. All my games work perfectly aswell.

Brian Hum

Been playing FO4 since the launch about 7 hours ago. Games is awesome, it almost has zero of the problems FO3 had performance wise. I actually haven't seen a single glitch other than a few minor AI pathing issues (but it's easy enough to just bump the character clear). All the people freaking out about the graphics in the leaked footage can rest assured it has no problems, at least on PC. Got a 4 year old i5 and a GTX 970 and it's running constant 60 fps on ultra, zero graphical issues so far, game world looks breathtakingly pretty. FPS mechanics are pretty top notch, not like COD or BF but not having any problems so far free firing (I'm actually finding VATS more the pain to use since enemies are constantly moving their arms get in the way of targeting torsos and heads), just putting the cheapest scope mount on a gun makes it pretty accurate. All in all having a spectacular time going to get back at it after some sleep.

Darren

Staff member
I watched one of my roommates play the first little bit of it. Graphically, it looks good. Environments look beautiful, but characters and some in game stuff feels a bit "flat". He was running an R9 380 and FX 6300 at 4.4GHz and was getting about 35-40 FPS in some areas at its worst and 60 in most everything else. Not bad. The recommended specs are overstated in my opinion, which I expected. Gameplay looked solid, but it wasn't me playing it. :D

Darren

Staff member
I love how this thread has been practically silent since the release.

I for one can say I'm insanely hooked on it. I snagged it after hearing my 3 roommates talk about it constantly. Spent a good amount of time tweaking around settings and what not as I was getting pretty nasty stuttering and frame drop when I shouldn't have been (inside). The game needs some optimization work, but still does alright. How's performance for you guys? I'm doing 45-60 FPS on about High settings at 1440p. Not too bad honestly, but CPU utilization is rarely over 50 percent. I get some pretty nasty drops with a lot of lighting going on, which is annoying.

Combat is incredibly satisfying, which I think is a big reason why I like it. Makes me thing of Borderlands to a certain degree. Crafting and customization is also really cool, although building bases and the UI suffers on PC a keyboard and mouse. The Pipboy App works amazingly well though, which helps. I use it more than the in game Pipboy.

Geoff

VIP Member
I played it for 2 hours and I just got bored and stopped playing. Maybe it's just my preference for game play, but I have never been a fan of single player campaign games. I always love multiplayer games like TF2, CSGO, COD, Age of Empires, etc.

Darren

Staff member
I played it for 2 hours and I just got bored and stopped playing. Maybe it's just my preference for game play, but I have never been a fan of single player campaign games. I always love multiplayer games like TF2, CSGO, COD, Age of Empires, etc.

I'm actually like that too in most instances. I don't know what it is, but this game just snagged me. I enjoyed Skyrim, but I think this might be my new favorite Bethesda game. It's also surprisingly tough, at least for me. I'm pretty terrible at it, but I don't get fed up and quit like I do with pretty much any other game that's even slightly challenging.

Edit: AMD beta drivers are Fallout 4 optimized. Haven't tested 'em yet though.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Last edited:

tylerjrb

ive played about 6 hours on it since release so far. been playing witcher 3 lately aswell. As a campaign it is very good, especially as you get into the game. craft weapons, make bases and settlements for villagers, tough interesting monsters, villains, characters. Storyline as a whole is very good so far and there are also some very fun random quest lines on it aswell. Overall very fun game so far. Cant say I enjoy it as much as skyrim as it is still one of my favourite games, but time will tell once I get into it a bit more.

There are a good few things that let it down though. practically same skyrim engine, No SLI/CF profile, crazy amount of bugs, Graphics are OK but nothing special especially for a AAA 2015 game, some places on the map also run terrible aswell. I.e getting 40-50fps in the large city with high-ultra settings and godrays on low and over 120 everwhere else.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Turning down Shadow Distance made a huge impact on my framerate and no noticeable graphics difference. Also locking tesselation to x8 or x16 in CCC for AMD users helps too.