Why am I having so much trouble connecting to my mobile hotspot?

JohnJSal

Hello everyone. I have cell phone service with T-Mobile, which includes 5GB of data for tethering. I use the Mobile Hotspot app on my phone to turn it on when I need it, and usually it has always worked smoothly.

It seems to take the Wi-Fi dongle that is plugged into my desktop PC a long time to connect to the network, but eventually it connects. Other devices, such as tablets, connect immediately.

But lately, they haven't been connecting at all. My Nintendo 3DS, as well as my tablets, often don't connect to the hotspot as if it weren't even there. Just now my tablet actually shows that it IS connected to it, but the Wi-Fi icon in the notification bar shows an "!" on it, meaning it's not really connected.

These are all devices that have already been configured properly to connect to the hotspot, and that have even worked fine recently. But sometimes they just don't.

Anyone encounter this or know what the issue might be?

Thanks!

Intel_man

VIP Member
Are you sure you're not just getting to places where mobile coverage is not getting a good connection? Or is this at the same location, but the connection is spotty sometimes?

JohnJSal

It's always the same place, but the connection is usually good here. And even when I have problems with the mobile hotspot, the regular data connection on my phone is fine. Aren't these the same network being used?