Why am I still getting wireless internet without a router?

Recently my router quit working due to corrupted firmware, so I moved the modem and cable connection to my main computer, with no router and nothing else hooked up to my computer. But, somehow, I'm still getting some wireless internet. My laptop in the same room as the main computer gets connectivity, but the signal strength is only one bar and it takes about 20 seconds for a web page to load. My daughter is now only able to get wireless internet on her ipod when she's in the living room about 15 feet from the main computer, but not all the way back in her room like she could with the router.
I'm really just curious how we're still getting any signal now without the router. Not a problem but it's been bugging me.....

strollin

Unless you have a 2nd router somewhere in your house it must be a neighbor's unsecured wifi. Be careful, many unsecured wifi hotspots are there simply to get you to connect so they can gain access to your computer.

You should be able to bring up the list of available wireless network connections via the icon in the system tray at the lower right-hand corner of your screen (assuming you're running Windows).

Last edited:
I don't think it's the neighbors, my daughter used to be able to connect to our network when we pulled into the driveway, but no farther away that that, with the router.

There is no network icon in my system tray currently (Win 7), but I did pull up the network configuration page and all it listed was "home network" which is basically the internet connection itself. when I clicked connect to another network, nothing popped up in the box of available networks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe your cable modem is also a wireless gateway. What is the model of modem you have?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I can tell, that model is only a cable modem not a wireless gateway. Either there is another router in the home or you are connected to neighbors wifi (which I suspect).

As far as I can tell, that model is only a cable modem not a wireless gateway. Either there is another router in the home or you are connected to neighbors wifi (which I suspect).

the only router I have ever had is now unplugged and disconnected. I live on a corner with 32 foot wide streets so I really only have one neighbor to consider. If it were the house behind us across the alley my daughter's room is closer to them so she would get it in her room. The one house next door to us is owned by a lady in her 50's that I don't see as a computer person, but I guess I could be wrong. but if that were so, wouldn't I be able to see her network when I try to connect to other networks or view my current network tree?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily, different wireless cards have different wireless strengths. Whatever machine is connected to a wireless network needs to be disconnected if you do not have a wireless router in the house. What is the name of the network that its connecting to?

the name of network is Linksys (I had a Linksys router), and when I hover over the name it give some status info, including signal strength, which is either NO SIGNAL or POOR. But I can still get internet access!!! I easily called up my cnn.com home page on the laptop when I checked it. when I checked the connection it said I needed to reset my router. that hasn't stopped the internet from working though.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So your router isn't even plugged in at the moment? You should always change the network name on your router so you know you are connecting to your own network. All linksys routers will have "linksys" as their network name, and they are a pretty common brand. As said before, you need to disconnect from the network you are connecting to now and wait until you get a new router.