Why are AMD's so much cheaper?

tobywuk

Just been looking at CPU's for a new system.

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (3.2 GHz) Socket AM2 L2 2MB = £109.00

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB = £116.00

From this, the AMD seems to be the most powerful processor by quite a bit, yet it is a fair bit cheaper. Is there something im missing?

I am interested in the intel core 2 quad processors (the extreams are two expensive), but is there any point when a equivalent AMD CPU would be cheaper?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Right now Intel is faster clock for clock than AMD so they price there processor accordingly. The E6750 and the 6400 is pretty much equal back and fourth even though the Core 2 is only 2.66ghz. But the Core 2 overclocks alot better.

Geoff

VIP Member
Just been looking at CPU's for a new system.

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (3.2 GHz) Socket AM2 L2 2MB = £109.00

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB = £116.00

From this, the AMD seems to be the most powerful processor by quite a bit, yet it is a fair bit cheaper. Is there something im missing?

I am interested in the intel core 2 quad processors (the extreams are two expensive), but is there any point when a equivalent AMD CPU would be cheaper?

The AMD X2 6400+ 3.2GHz is not faster the the Intel E6750 2.66GHz.

AMD has to have lower prices otherwise no one would buy their processors, as the Core 2 line is the best performer.

tobywuk

roger that. Is there any point going for a slightly slower intel core 2 quad over a slightly higher core 2 duo?

Geoff

VIP Member
roger that. Is there any point going for a slightly slower intel core 2 quad over a slightly higher core 2 duo?
Are you referring to say the Q6600 vs E6750? If your main purpose is gaming, then I would say get the C2D, however the C2Q is great for multitasking.

Vestitor

Yeah, my bro recently bought a Intel Centrino Duo which runs at 1.66ghz and that thing beats the crap of of my Athlon 64 X2 which runs at 2.2ghz.

I get about 42sec in superpi at 1M and he gets about 33sec.

Now when I have my computer overclocked at about 2.82ghz then it can beat the Centrino Duo with 32sec in Superpi. But the HT is at about 1240 which is unstable.

reddevil6

AMD have always been cheaper than intel.
AMD try an make all parts as cheap as they can even know they don't make much profit, AMD have always been like this, well as long as i can rember an that is about 10 years