Why are Graphics so important to gamers?

NyxCharon

I feel like if i had to choose between story and graphics, i'd choose story. Graphics are nice for any game that doesn't have a strong story, ie most shooters. However if it has a great story, i could care less about the graphics.
Then again, your asking the guy that just gave up program's with gui's and switched to a straight text/terminal based OS. :p

Bananapie

I definitely agree that if the gameplay is good, graphics don't really matter. I still have a lot of fun with games that aren't great in the graphics department. Hell, I wish some of the games would come back to what they once were before being screwed up by the developers (IE: Infantry Online)

Although, graphics are nice to look at, and it is really nice to see a new game that ends up blowing the rest out of the water. It just isn't a HUGE deal for me.

Aastii

VIP Member
I think occasionally graphics can help with gameplay because it helps with immersion. If everything is blocky and low res, it is less realistic and therefore less immersive.

Now don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean graphics are the be all and end all, good story, sounds, voice acting and gameplay will always add to immersion more than graphics, however they can often play a part in an already good game

russb

I think graphics help alot when playing MP as story does not come into the game when playing MP.:)

Darren

Staff member
I'm all for great in both departments but graphics should come second behind gameplay.

Also art is a big part of it. Some really cutting edge graphical games just aren't very artistic and it just seems flat and boring.

I enjoy graphics and think they should keep increasing in their quality but I think building a fun, enjoyable game should come before spicing it up with flashy graphics. One of my favorite games at the moment is Terraria (2-D Sidescrolling Action/RPG/Building/Crafting/Mining game).

Of course the reason for that would be my 7 year old Dell Dinosaur can't play much else. :p

Bottomline: Gameplay > Graphics

But nice graphics are good too. :)

mtb211

I feel like if i had to choose between story and graphics, i'd choose story. Graphics are nice for any game that doesn't have a strong story, ie most shooters. However if it has a great story, i could care less about the graphics.
Then again, your asking the guy that just gave up program's with gui's and switched to a straight text/terminal based OS. :p

+1

Thanks for the responses. Now someone help me with my sound card thread... John?

linkin

VIP Member
I think graphics help alot when playing MP as story does not come into the game when playing MP.:)

I find that as well but stuff like motion blur and blinding HDR is bad because it negatively affects gameplay. I love me some quality textures, models, art direction and audio though :D

Aastii

VIP Member

They do still help though I think. If you are playing some blocky crap (Minecraft not included :p), it is going to be less immersive than if things look and play realistically

+1

Thanks for the responses. Now someone help me with my sound card thread... John?

Don't promote your own threads in other threads please