Why can't I access my laptop's c: via LAN?

Dimitri

I have a desktop and a laptop connected to the same router, both computers are running Win10, AFAIK all the network sharing settings are set to on, on my desktop in Network I can see my laptop and see it's c:, which is shared, but when I click on it it says I don't have permission to access.

When I check on the laptop, under advanced sharing of c:, permissions are set to everyone (to full control).
Anyone know what the problem might be?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It's not enough to simply share the directory any more. There are additional network permissions that get applied, when prompted to login you need to enter a user account and password that exists in the remote machine, or make them the same. This additional password can be disabled.
Open Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Status
Scroll to the bottom
Click Network and Sharing Center

Click Change advanced sharing settings
Expand All Networks
Under Password protected sharing

Switch between 'Turn on password protected sharing and Turn off password protected sharing'

Then choose 'Turn off password protected sharing'

Then click 'Save changes'

Why would you share the entire C:\???

Would it not be simpler (and safer when others use your network) to only share your computers SHARED FOLDERS
That way you copy all the files that you like to share to the folder in question and
Open file exolorer, type %Public% in the addressdbar,
In the left pane you will see the folder: “PUBLIC”, RIGHTclick on that, choose: Properties, and SHARING,
then select: ADVANCED SHARING, Tick the “Share this folder”, In “Share name:” type "Computername" Public or whatever may identify your share to others.
Click: OK, Notice the “NETWORK PATH” this is the adress other use to access your shared files..

Note the “Password protection” bellow, If you like to give access to others on your private network without having to create accounts and passwords for everyone, click: Network and sharing centre, expand the ALL NETWORKS profile,
Click on the: “Password-protected sharing”, select: “Turn OFF password-protected sharing”, then select: Save changes

Now Anyone on your local network now has READ ACCESS to your shared folders. No matter what account logs on to your computer.

This way you keep your private files PRIVATE, while sharing only the files you like to share.. No matter what guests use your network..

Last edited: