Why can't I save to the C: drive

gib65

Hello,

I have Windows 10 and I would like to save files on my C: drive. I won't let me. It tells me I need elevated permissions to save to the C: drive even though I know I do. The only way I can save a file on the C: drive is if I open the program for the file (say Excel for a .xlsx file) as an administrator, open the file, then save it to the C: drive.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Why do you want to save directly to C:\? You should be saving somewhere like C:\Users\Username\Documents

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I save directly to c at times and have no problems. Is this an upgrade or clean install.

gib65

It's a clean install. And yes, I've experienced saving to the C: drive no problem myself. Just on a different Windows 10 machine. So I know it can be done.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I just tried doing it on my windows 10 install and it didn't let me either, what i did was open notepad and just did a test and tried saving it and it wouldn't let me. So I opened notepad as admin and then it let me save it to c. So it seems its user account control. What files are you trying to save to c?

gib65

Any file at all. Yes, there is the workaround of opening an application (ex. Excel) as an administrator, and then I can save files wherever I want. It's a pain in the ass of a workaround though, and if I ever forget to run as administrator, do a bunch of work, then I have to save somewhere else (like Desktop) and then move it to C: (which raises the question: how much of a security feature is it to disable saving to C: when the user can easily move the file to C: after saving it somewhere else?)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You should just get used to putting any documents into your documents folder, after all thats what its for. I used to put files/folders on my c drive when i was transferring data from old/failing hard drives for my clients, now that I have a storage drive, I don't need to. What you can do though is create a folder in root c and then you can save your files in there no problem. Its just a new security measure in windows 10.