WIndows 10 Why can't my application import files on Windows 10 Home Single Language with i7 but it can on Windows 10 Pro with i5?

gib65

Hello,

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue someone is having that involves a desktop application trying to import a file and the application saying the file is corrupt. I'm not sure what category this question should go under but as it seems to be effected by the OS, I thought I'd post it here to start. It seems that this application worked fine on machines with an i5 processor and Windows 10 Pro, but not on machines with an i7 and Windows 10 Home Single Language.

This actually means the issue might be a hardware issue, or maybe a combination of hardware, OS, and the application itself. As for the application itself, we do see this error in the logs:

"Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {19AA7334-069C-437F-BFE4-CC9894DB8504} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))."

I don't know exactly what this error means, and I have no idea if this would be caused by a hardware or software issue, a problem in the application or a problem in the OS. All I know is, we don't get this error in Windows 10 Pro on i5s, but we do in Windows 10 Home Single Language on i7s.

The only thing I can think of is the character encoding. Does Windows 10 Pro encode characters differently than Windows 10 Home Single Language, such that the application can't read the encoding of the file contents on the latter but it can on the former? Would an i5 process information differently than an i7 such that the same issues might come up on an i7? Does Windows 10 Pro come with certain software that applications might rely on to function properly, such that if installed on Windows 10 Home Single Language, those software would not be installed and the application wouldn't function properly?

Thanks for any forthcoming help.

Darren

Staff member
Likely a hangup somewhere between Home SL and Pro. Hardware likely is unrelated.

What's the application? Sounds like you need to get their support involved, if possible.

beers

Staff member
There's nothing i5/i7 that would cause that behavior. Usually you see that with a missing dependency that wasn't installed/registered.

What specific software is it and how did you install it between the two?