Why did Excel not save?

bopper

My company just made the switch From Google to Microsoft. We now have the Microsoft suite ("for work or school" I think). I was working on an Excel file for a few hours yesterday, but this morning it shows only the first 15 min of work. I turned on auto save after creating the document. Did it move somewhere else when I did that?

bopper

Disaster averted. I logged into OneDrive via browser and it was there. I just need to figure out how this thing works. I want to use excel the classic way where the file stays where I put it so more practice is needed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't count on the auto save working like it should. Get in the habit of saving as excel worksheet and save it to your documents folder not one drive since I know it can be a pain.

bopper

I figured out one portion of it. IT stopped in and noticed OneDrive wasn't running on the computer after booting this morning. He started it up and the file that I thought was local updated to contain the current version of the file. It appears that a clone of my machine was placed under OneDrive on my machine. I used to do all my stuff under C>users>me and that's where documents, downloads, etc were. That is still the case, but documents is empty. Now I go C>users>me>Onedrive and that is where my documents folder got put.

And I religiously do manual saves while working.

Couriant

Something doesn't make sense there. you wouldn't have been able to save to the cloud if OneDrive was turned off.... I guess I would have to be there to see it.

OneDrive will redirect the Desktop, Documents, and Pictures by default to OneDrive when sync is turned on, however my Office 365 does not turn AutoSave on unless I tell it to. And even then will point to OneDrive as AutoSave in the top left uses OneDrive to save.

You can save locally too. Check File > Options > Save section for what you have set up (or what IT did)

bopper

Something doesn't make sense there. you wouldn't have been able to save to the cloud if OneDrive was turned off.... I guess I would have to be there to see it.

OneDrive will redirect the Desktop, Documents, and Pictures by default to OneDrive when sync is turned on, however my Office 365 does not turn AutoSave on unless I tell it to. And even then will point to OneDrive as AutoSave in the top left uses OneDrive to save.

You can save locally too. Check File > Options > Save section for what you have set up (or what IT did)
I did set auto save.

I’m not sure what happened. Maybe I did a one drive setting while the file was opened and that switched me over to a different file.