Why Do a Clean Install

I was trying to convince my brother to do a clean install of Win 10 from his Win 7 ( as I learned to do from this site), but I couldn't convince him. Can anyone give me some reasons why a clean install is better than just relying on the upgrade option? Thanks

beers

Staff member
Since most people habitually download malware, you don't have those similar dependencies moved into your 'new install'.

Also all of the garbage and previous references for software or files that you never use are removed from the storage device.

tremmor

If your going to a new ver then do a clean install.
If ya had problems before you will likely have them again
after the install. Wipe it clean and start over.

Phoebeby

Both in-place upgrade and clean install have their benefits and disadvantages, there are many advantages performing a clean install of Windows 10. For example, a clean install is an opportunity to start fresh from scratch without any bloatware and trial software that might have come pre-installed with your system. You will also regain control over your apps, as you can now install only the applications you need, and you'll also start with a brand new and clean Windows Registry.

Also, your chances of running into errors and other issues will significantly be reduced. If your PC had any software or hardware issues, doing a clean install likely resolves any problems.

While a clean install is always the way to go for many technical users, upgrading to Windows 10 can be tricky.
I like to do a clean install of the operating system even though it takes more time and more work.

loweandr

One of the biggest reasons I like to clean install is that you don't end up with large amounts of unused data in the windows.old folder and the $windows.~BT folder if you use the download options of the media creation tool.
I do understand that you can use disk cleanup to remove the files, but it feels "dirty" to me :D

Also I like to do a clean install to help reduce the amount of unused software that I may have downloaded and only used once.

Peakkk

I made an upgrade and choose to keep nothing. It was almost the same thing TO ME as a clean one, Windows 10 started as a pretty new OS installed.