Why do brand name computers have better cases?

Interested

For some reason, major companies have nicer/better looking cases that are also quieter. It seems as if no third-party company can make a nice case with great fit and finish. Even antec! the antec 900 still feels cheap to me and it sounds like there is a jet sitting next to you. (i know since my friend has one) why is this?

mcutra

Re

The bigger companies have more money and more profit so they can spend more money on cases the smaller companies , they cant really "afford" them.

bomberboysk

Well that isnt always the case(no pun intended), it just depends on what kind of fans/etc are in the case, i prefer higher airflow fans over quieter fans, but some people are the opposite,well most people are, but thats why they use the lower airflow quieter fans in "branded" computers.

Interested

imo, those look extremely cheap (even though they aren't by any means), and even if they are great, they are still ugly.

Main.jpg

41wWuXxI7%2BL._SS400_.jpg

/\ the one above is amazing, looks amazing on the outside and it has an awesome back-lit power button on the top of the case!

Last edited:

just a noob

oh, and the reason why they probably have more appealing cases is, because people are just going to buy a computer not because of whats in it, but what the case looks like

well every single time i ever see a brand name case its quite because it doesnt have a graphics card they use onbored graphics, and they only have one fan cooling the cpu

theres the quite

they also have perfect fit because that case is made for whats going in it, have you seen those computer cases dells made that are like 3 inches thick, only enough room for a custom power supply that is smaller then a atx or mini atx power supply, and a motherbored along with a stacked disk drive and harddrive on there sides,

if you wanted to put a graphics card in that you couldnt even do it, ive modded a dell case before it was the thickest metal ive ever cut through on a computer,

a big brand has a strong computer case because thats good quality, if dell or hp sold a computer case that bends when you take off the side everyone would say dell sucks i had to buy a whole new case for my computer.

Interested

my friend has the HP above and he has a 9500GS. same as a 8600gt. and the dell xps line has dedicated video cards.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
For some reason, major companies have nicer/better looking cases that are also quieter.

That has nothing to do with case design. They are built to be quiet so as to not be intrusive. What they provide in near-silence they severely lack in cooling capabilities. They typically have one fan (be it in the front or rear) and most often, just a large HS, not a HSF. There are some exceptions, but that's the general gist.

konsole

my dads old Dell was quiet because it only had 2 inneficient fans and one of those was the power supply fan. the other fan was drawing the hot air out of the cpu heatsink, so there was no fans drawing out the heat from the case in general, there was no fans pulling cool air in, and there was no video card cooling fan. If your computer is whisper quiet its because the components arent that great and dont need alot of cooling.

dznutz

For some reason, major companies have nicer/better looking cases that are also quieter. It seems as if no third-party company can make a nice case with great fit and finish. Even antec! the antec 900 still feels cheap to me and it sounds like there is a jet sitting next to you. (i know since my friend has one) why is this?

the antec 900 is for performance and cooling. if you want an antec that's cute and quiet go for the sonata or perhaps the p series

speaking about cooling.... i took apart my friend's dell pc case..... had only 1 fan. the cpu heatsink fan. the horror. the heatsink was small. about 1/3 the size of the intel p4 socket 478 heatsink. they obviously skimped on the intel heatsink and went with their own cheaper heatsink. btw, i'm not counting the ps fan as a fan.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
They're quiet because they are designed to be quiet. You can make your computer quiet too if you want, just don't get a 900, they're suppose to be jet engines. Get a few quality fans and heatsinks and your computer will be near silent too.

And also there are plenty of cases out there that have high build qualities (look at any Lian-li, Silverstone cases). Antec also has a few, I think they're the Solo cases.

dug987654

The 'nicer looking' cases often have no room for expansion in terms of external drive bays. like the cases you showed as an example. Where would you put a fan controller or sound card control panel if you wanted to attach one. The cases are designed to house (to a certain extent) the components they came with, whereas the cases you are deeming 'ugly' etc are much more versatile.

That is of course in addition to what has been mentioned before about cooling, and, in my opinion, the HP case isn't nice to look at anyway! Doug.