Why do people pay

bengal85

People are unaware of the things that you can do on the internet
3f4366aeb9c157cf9a30c90693eafc55.jpg

true

tlarkin

VIP Member
When you pay for it you get support. You can call someone or email someone and get questions answered and get help. When it is free they refer you to google.

Paid for support gets support. Why would anyone pay for Linux? Linux has paid for enterprise distros that are not free. The main reason is, support. You get to talk to someone for tech support.

tremmor

i used avg free for years. nice program. On the other hand the free avg free is not the same as the corp or bought ver. its just not about support. its mostly about detection. they are not the same animal.

ScOuT

VIP Member
CPU magazine did a large anti virus program test in the June issue. It is actually a really good article. They benched a bunch of programs to include actually trying to infect the computer. The results are interesting.

Here is the link for the article...actually a really good read I thought.
http://www.computerpoweruser.com/ed...rticles/archive/c0907/40c07/40c07.asp&tid=cpu

The performance chart:
http://www.computerpoweruser.com/ar...art.pdf?guid=6A5069F531A94907BA8A863737174187

Some of the notable things on the chart is:
AVG stopped 100% of Downloaded Infected Executable files and 100% of Downloaded Infected Zip Files. This tested the paid version of AVG remember.

McAfee was the worst performer in many categories...it stopped 87% of Downloaded Infected Executable files and 82% of Downloaded Infected Zip Files. That's pretty bad if you ask me!

I get mine free from work:D We can download Symantic and run it on as many computers as we want through Army Knowledge Online. It is not stealing or anything...they give it to you. We have to sometimes do work at home and access the Military network from your home computer. All three of my home computers have it.

kazkepox

ive come to realiz eon my own terms best buy is a bunch of bullcrap compared to like newegg for just about anything. it sickens me, that store is awesome to walk into and see everything at one disclosed location, and thats how they getcha

words of littlus debbius (my philosoraptor name)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Simple,
They just don't know any better.

Come on dude!

People purchase protection software because they believe it will be more secure.

And in most cases they are right.

Take Kaspersky or Eset smart security for example.....AVG or AVAST does not touch them.

But freeware security is enough for the average user....I purchased Kaspersky IS 2009 but only because it was so cheap....like £8 for a year!

g4m3rof1337

Come on dude!

People purchase protection software because they believe it will be more secure.

Take Kaspersky or Eset smart security for example.....AVG or AVAST does not touch them.

But freeware security is enough for the average user....I purchased Kaspersky IS 2009 but only because it was so cheap....like £8 for a year!

Exactly. The money you're spending on the software makes it much better than the free versions. Take Adobe PS and GIMP for example.

tremmor

Come on dude!

Agreed! i benchmarked all of them. i bought Kaspersky IS for (3). Do a lot of Newsgroups. A place to get into a lot of trouble with malicious intent.
Have to agree also the freeware like AVG works well for most. nothing bad to say about it.

ScottALot

Also stores like Best Buy charge more for computers so when thinking of computer safety, people go bonkers. (Best Buy employees like to say computers are unrecoverable when they have viruses on them, I got pissed at an employee trying to rip off my friend one time, so I explained it ... just a BIT better)

tlarkin

VIP Member
A lot of times the free versions are like their beta versions as they like to test things out and then once it is ready they port it over to their pay for version and tweak it even more.

The paid for versions of software have better support and more features. Otherwise, why in the hell would they even offer a pay for version?

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Come on dude!

lol, however it's still essentially true. If people knew their options, I'd bet a vast majority of them would be using the free version. How many of you have actually had issues while running a free AV, AM & FW? If you want to pay for a product go for it, however in most cases I doubt you'd see a difference, expect for the whole in your wallet. Those are just my thoughts,I'm not trying to change anyone's views, so no bashing needed.

bengal85

lol, however it's still essentially true. If people knew their options, I'd bet a vast majority of them would be using the free version. How many of you have actually had issues while running a free AV, AM & FW? If you want to pay for a product go for it, however in most cases I doubt you'd see a difference, expect for the whole in your wallet. Those are just my thoughts,I'm not trying to change anyone's views, so no bashing needed.

EXACTLY if people knew their options they would see that they can do things without paying for them.

Euklid

An idea on abundance and money...

I don't mind buying things if I know I'll like it, same reason I pay for WoW every month, that, and I have money to spend..

Exactly what he said.

If you like something, wouldn't you want to show your support and appreciation for it? If you like a band, wouldn't you want to support them by buying their music instead of pirating it?

While most of the world sees money as debt, and perceives their interaction with money as "when I pay for something, I am dying a little inside, I worked hard for this money", some people see money as appreciation. Spending money is like saying 'thank you'.

And with this mindset, these people actually prefer to pay for things. Because the more they spend, the more appreciation is floating around. And if you think about it, isn't that what money is - appreciation? When you hide it under the mattress for 20 years, you are not allowing it to flow. Money has value in being able to flow. The more money that flows back and forth, the more abundance there is to go around.

But the problem is most people have a tiny bucket for catching abundance. Abundance flows like the Niagara Falls, it is available to everyone, but most people arrive with teaspoons to scoop it up. And then when someone arrives with a dump truck, they become jealous - they say "you are taking more than your fair share, when you take that much, there is less to go around." But it never matters how much someone else takes. Their abundance is never related to yours. How much you are able to earn is always about your relationship with money.

bomberboysk

McAfee was the worst performer in many categories...it stopped 87% of Downloaded Infected Executable files and 82% of Downloaded Infected Zip Files. That's pretty bad if you ask me!
Hehe, ive been telling people that for years.