Why do USB Scanners and Webcams create problems?

RJM2096

In my job I use several webcams and scanners.

If I am using only one it seems to work OK, but if I have to disconnect one and plug in another or have two of them plugged in at the same time, look out!

What I also do not understand is how under the Windows Control Panel>the Scanner and Camera Plug-in works. It is rare that all of the cameras and scanners show. It would be nice if they were treated like printers and would show what was attached, then you could install and remove a scanner or camera or set properties.

Any Ideas...am I doing something wrong? Can I clean up my USB ports?

lawson_jl

If your having problems with webcams, scanners, printers, cameras, etc try turning off the Windows Image Acquisistion (WIA) service. This can often help.

RJM2096

If your having problems with webcams, scanners, printers, cameras, etc try turning off the Windows Image Acquisistion (WIA) service. This can often help.

Thanks for you insight. I looked under running services and start up programs and could not determine if WIA is running. Where do I turn it off?

lawson_jl

What you want to do is to disable the service that way you know it's not starting up when you plug in a camera, scanner, etc.