why do you they have slower GPUs?

abdul10000

I noticed that the top line nvidia video cards have slower GPUs and memory clock speed compared to the top ATI cards. Take for example the 7950 GT which offers a 500mhz GPU and 600mhz memory clock vs. the X1950 XTX 650mhz GPU and 2ghz memory clock. They both perform pretty close so what accounts for such difference in specs?

Archangel

VIP Member
well... you can compare it to the X2's and the Core 2 Duo's.. at lower frequenties, the C2D still outperform the X2's by far.

frankly.. the architecture of the new chips is pretty protected.. so i doubt it someone could give you much info about it

maroon1

X1950XTX performs much better than 7950GT.

X1950XTX is the second best card in the market, and 7950GX2 is the best.

fade2green514

DX10 will introduce geometry shaders :D so far we've got pixel pipelines which nvidias top line has 24 of, and ATI's top line still has 16 of... and vertex shaders which nvidias top line has (i think) 8 of and ATI's top line has 48 of... so really they perform differently depending on which game and how the game is programmed and such...

we'll have to see which company decides to implement more geometry shaders and what not into their new architectures..

Saurian

ATI also uses a different configuration as well. They have 16 pipes with 3 shader ops for each I believe, which nVidia uses the "old school" pipe method. Either way is effective, though.