Why do you use Unix?

Vamilvas

Just curious as to why anyone one would want to switch/use. I tried out a couple distros because I heard it was better than windows.

FairDoos

Unix was made in the 1970's and is mostly today used for programming and servers. What are you looking for in an OS actually?

Vamilvas

Unix was made in the 1970's and is mostly today used for programming and servers. What are you looking for in an OS actually?

Hah, I was thinking unix was the generic name for linux.
In an OS I was looking for something "better than windows" :D
Linux is ok I just don't like spending 5-10 minutes on picking up a new learning curve for basic things.

lucasbytegenius

I like Linux, they don't force themselves on you and ask you to buy all their products and make you activate your perfectly legit copy of their OS. Still trying to find a distro that has "everything" though.

Vamilvas

I don't know about more productive but I do like the no registry bloat and less security threats.
@Lucas A distro with everything? like more entertainment options movies and games, other than that I'd think you can customize linux how you like.

Last edited:

lucasbytegenius

But once you invest that 5-10 minutes and learn it, you can be so much more productive.

What do you mean by "everything"?
Like more essential utils and progs than Ubuntu's got, the ability to get yer packages on another computer and transfer them, to be able if necessary to download the complete software repository, ease of use, a few bits of eye candy, maybe the ability to use Windows drivers, and a few other things. Basicly, a distro with everything and more than Windows has to offer, just for free. If Ubuntu were modded a bit to include more utils and progs, and the sleep bug were fixed for older computers and if I could find the Software Repository on DVDs, it would fit the bill. I once did find the SR on DVDs for Ubuntu, but I lost the link that took me two straight days to find. It was "Kambring" or "Kamdring" University or something like that. You see, I am on dial-up, so downloading stuff is not only slow, it's impossible as you have to get the dialer package in the first place. So, until the ultimate distro is found, I'll probably be using Windows for a while.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Like more essential utils and progs than Ubuntu's got, the ability to get yer packages on another computer and transfer them, to be able if necessary to download the complete software repository, ease of use, a few bits of eye candy, maybe the ability to use Windows drivers, and a few other things. Basicly, a distro with everything and more than Windows has to offer, just for free. If Ubuntu were modded a bit to include more utils and progs, and the sleep bug were fixed for older computers and if I could find the Software Repository on DVDs, it would fit the bill. I once did find the SR on DVDs for Ubuntu, but I lost the link that took me two straight days to find. It was "Kambring" or "Kamdring" University or something like that. You see, I am on dial-up, so downloading stuff is not only slow, it's impossible as you have to get the dialer package in the first place. So, until the ultimate distro is found, I'll probably be using Windows for a while.

Unix has all of that, except for the vendor specific stuff, but the problem is you will have to learn how to use it. It is not hard, it is just different. Ubuntu has probably the best online community out of any OS and their maintainers do a great job of of keeping things up to date.

However, all Linux is based on Unix. Over the years there have been many Unix distros, but they never caught on quite as much as Linux. Qnix, NeXT, Solaris, etc.

munkyeetr

Asking what's the best one is a good way to start a flame war :angry:

I started with SuSE, then Fedora, then Ubuntu, then Debian (plus experimented with tons of others on the side)...now I've used Arch for about 3 years and they say, once you use Arch, you never go back.

I've found this to be true. I tried a few months ago to play around with Ubuntu and Debian again and everything just seemed painfully complicated. It's not for everyone though; it is a lot more hands on and you have to do a bit more initial work to get your system going, but you learn a lot and you have a very streamlined self-customized system that is YOUR system (built by you for you). The wiki is excellent and the community is very helpful if you search for answers on the forum/wiki/google first and try to solve the issue yourself before you post a question. There is very little hand-holding.

It really depends what you want to do and how much you want to learn. Check out http://distrowatch.org

Last edited:

jd6158

Linux os

I have a formatted hard that I would like to try Linux OS on
Can it be downloaded to a CD or DVD? Are there any drivers that I should have or any thing I should know before loading on a hard drive
JJ

WhiteTree

No need for all the boldness :p

You can put it on a CD or DVD, but it must be burned as an iso file. You can't simply copy the files to a disk, or it won't boot up. As for drivers, most are already included, so it should basically work right away. (You might need to upgrade the graphics drivers after installing to get 3D acceleration to work, but that should be about all you have to do with drivers if even that.)

Try Ubuntu or OpenSuse first - they are the least likely to give you trouble.

lucasbytegenius

Asking what's the best one is a good way to start a flame war :angry:

I started with SuSE, then Fedora, then Ubuntu, then Debian (plus experimented with tons of others on the side)...now I've used Arch for about 3 years and they say, once you use Arch, you never go back.

I've found this to be true. I tried a few months ago to play around with Ubuntu and Debian again and everything just seemed painfully complicated. It's not for everyone though; it is a lot more hands on and you have to do a bit more initial work to get your system going, but you learn a lot and you have a very streamlined self-customized system that is YOUR system (built by you for you). The wiki is excellent and the community is very helpful if you search for answers on the forum/wiki/google first and try to solve the issue yourself before you post a question. There is very little hand-holding.

It really depends what you want to do and how much you want to learn. Check out http://distrowatch.org

OK, probably should've thought about it before posting, sorry. I have tried Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.4, KNOPPIX 5.1 (Great distro, you just can't install it:(), Fedora 12, and why I even considered it I don't know, Xubuntu, Kubuntu (I like KDE, but this really over did it in graphics), haven't fully installed Debian yet, but I heard it's a lot like Fedora, trying to install Ark Linux, which is a really cool distro that lets you play Tetris during the install, and am currently seeing what the hubbub is all about in Linux Mint, which seems to be another Ubuntu based distro. Also eperimented with Gentoo, which seems like a great one, I just haven't the space right now, but the LiveCD is great.
I'll try the distros you mentioned.

lucasbytegenius

LOL. Well, thanks for saying it anyway, I don't want to get banned for something as lame as asking what was the best Linux distro and starting a war that lasts 3,000 posts:).
lol.