why doas my laptop lag ? :(

skyla

hi everyone,

I really dont know anymore, what to do. My laptop HP Elitebook 8460p, 4 GB RAM, HD Intel Graphics 3000 is lagging very badly since a few weeks and I cant find the reason for it :mad:
Its lagging sometimes so much, that the mouse curser appears only after a few seconds. I tried really everything, I installed new windows, 32bit and 64bit both lagging, i scanned 100 times for malware, viruses etc. I cleaned the fan, my settings are all on high performance, I ran a hard disk error check, drivers are all up to date (only one thats missing is ethernet driver cause I cant install it for some reason).

But the weird thing is, that when I play some games its not lagging. The games that are not lagging are all from the same company and on the other side, some games from the same type of game (nothing with much GB - its only Hidden Object games) but from an other company ARE lagging :confused:

Its also lagging when i disable the Internet. I`m not at all an expert in laptop`s, so I dont know if there is maybe anything that I dont know what should be also checked ?

Please help me, I am working on laptop from at home and right now its almost not possible and a new one is for me right now not affordable :(

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
How did you scan for viruses?

I'd first run a hard drive and RAM diagnostic. It sounds like you've got bad hardware or a malware infection.

Also just out of curiosity, does this happen only when plugged into an AC adapter?

jtech

How long since the os was last installed?? Sounds like it could be a corruption with explorer.exe. Go to cmd run as admin and type in sfc /scannow This will check that all the files to your os database are good and uncorrupted and will replace any that are not good.

There are also some viruses that are very good at masking themselves in a live os enviroment. Try taking the hard drive out and hooking it up to a computer with a good os and run your scans on that drive again. (I suggest MSE (or if you can afford it kerperskey) Maleware Bytes, and adaware Se) Dont be afraid to try diffrent well known scanners as well some (like avg) viruses can avoid one but be detected by another.

Lastly check to see if your Video drivers are up to date. Video Card drivers are also a big culprate from lag tho i find this unlikly since you say it plays well while gaming but not well in desktop.

i wonder how do your games play in windowed mode?

skyla

thank you for your replies !

@voyagerfan99: I scanned with my Antivirus program Avira, and yes, its also lagging when its plugged into the AC adapter, I just tried it, since I never really did :rolleyes:

@jtech: I just reinstalled Windows a few days ago, I changed from 32bit to 64 bit and it shows no diffrence. I will try that now with sfc/scannow. I will also try taking the Hard Disk out. Videocard driver ? Is that the graphic card ? In the Device Manager its showing no yellow triangle-warning-signs (exept of the ethernet driver). Yes its lagging also in windowed mode.

Can a virus or malware even be on the laptop after a new installation ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How are you reinstalling windows? With OEM recovery process or an actual Windows install cd? Are you deleting existing partitions first?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you may have a failing hard drive. What brand of hard drive is in it?

jtech

thank you for your replies !

@voyagerfan99: I scanned with my Antivirus program Avira, and yes, its also lagging when its plugged into the AC adapter, I just tried it, since I never really did :rolleyes:

@jtech: I just reinstalled Windows a few days ago, I changed from 32bit to 64 bit and it shows no diffrence. I will try that now with sfc/scannow. I will also try taking the Hard Disk out. Videocard driver ? Is that the graphic card ? In the Device Manager its showing no yellow triangle-warning-signs (exept of the ethernet driver). Yes its lagging also in windowed mode.

Can a virus or malware even be on the laptop after a new installation ?

In that case it sounds like a failing HDD. I know youve chk dsk already but have you checked the smart status of the hdd? Try Crystal Disk.

Also since it lags when its plugged it it could be a power regulation issue but thats very rare. Usually power issues happen when a cable breaks or a plug jack breaks but i have seen a power controller chip go bad but like is said its very rare (only seen it once myself) and the only way to check its to crack open the casing and see if any chips look like they have shock damage. Power meter will help also. (i would save this for last ditch effort reflowing chips is not easy without the proper tools)

jtech

well I had the 32bit on my Local Disk D and the 64bit I got now on my Local Disk C. When I make a new installation of windows I never delete anything :confused: I just overwrite it.

I made a sfc/scannow and attached the results here. http://666kb.com/i/cq9u7we2fgnmgpv2f.gif

thank you !

Ok well thats something. Hmmm does the log tell you which file is corrupted? when you installed it was it off a legit disk? Some of the torrent copys have issues during install and cause file corruption.

Also try running the same command in the cmd from the repair disk (its on the windows 7 dvd if you dont have one)

Just pop in your windows dvd like your going to install it but hit repair down at the bottom left.