why does my computer hardware crash?

paulmars

Im not sure crash is the proper term.

while using computer screen goes dark. Power light says lit. After several minutes I press-hold power button and after 5 seconds it powers down. I restart. It takes a very long time to boot up, then all is ok for months.

This has occurred a total of 3 times in the past 6 months.

I dont have any new apps or drivers installed that i know of.

I dont remember exactly what I was doing. It was either in my email app or reading something on the net or watching a video. I dont remember if it was triggered by an action on my part like a click or keystroke.

I didnt know if this is just an issue with monitor or with the actual computer.

So then I memorized keystrokes to power down the computer. I've been using those every time i turn off my computer since that 2nd occurrence above.

Months later while watching a video, it happened a 3rd time. I was 10 feet away and this long video is almost complete. The screen goes blank and this time the audio changes to a buzz-hum and does not stop. After a minute of no video and that constant buzz-hum I tried my shutdown keystrokes and that didnt work. After another minute i tried again. Nope, i cant shut down the computer. So, it's not just a monitor issue.

The next boot up took a long time. (maybe because of improper shutdown?)

That was several weeks ago and I'm still using the keystrokes to shut down my computer.

Ideas?

HP 24-e025t all in one.
Win 10

Thanks, paul

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First off, make sure that hibernation is disabled.

Next, update all the major drivers like video, sound, chipset. The buzzing sound along with the black screen issue may appear to be combination issue with the sound and video drivers. Depending on what hardware you have, Hp drivers are at least 3 years out of date for that model. If you go into windows update and optional downloads, are there any newer driver updates?

Next time it happens, go into the event viewer and see if it gives you any idea of what is going on. Event viewer, then windows logs, then system and check to see if there are any errors in red that populate on the right side pertaining to the time of your issue.

Anytime the system is not shut down properly such as pressing and holding the power button then you will get longer bootup next time. You may also have failing hard drive. You may want to do a diagnostic on it. If you are unfamiliar with any of this then you may want to take your system in and have it diagnosed and repaired.

Go into device manager and expand the display adapters and sound sections. Then right click on the each item in there and click on properties, click on driver tab. Whats the driver date?

paulmars

the buzz-hum was not present on 1st 2 occurrences. I think it was from the audio that was playing when it failed.

HDD diagnostic like windows error checking?

display adapters 19-Feb-20
sound
Intel(R) Corporation 21-Jan-20
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 26-Mar-20

optional updates driver updates says
"if u have prob, one of these might help. Otherwise automatic updates will keep your drivers up to date."
(does that make sense?)

intel HDC 7/8/2019 12:00:00 am 17.5.2.1024

HP firmware 15.74.0.0

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
HDD diagnostic like windows error checking?
No. If you expand the disk drives section in device manager what drive does it list?

Also can you list the specific devices for the display adapter and sound. That way I can give you links to download latest drivers. As far as the chipset goes, you can go to the Intel website and get the driver. I can give you the link when I get back to my pc tomorrow. I'll then also give you the links to the others once you list the specific ones. I may need the device ID number under hardware ID for the sound device.

paulmars

WDC WD10EZEX-60WN4A0 21-Jun-06

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Intel(R) Display Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

each of these has an update driver function.

Its been several years since I reinstalled windows. I been planning to do this again someday.

beers

Staff member
I cant tell if the cpu fan is running. Looking inside the case, it looks like it mostly recirculates the same air.
Most prebuilts rely a lot on the PSU exhaust fan to generate the negative pressure flow. Also it can't be recirculating the same air if it's not spinning ;)

You can always pop off the side of the case and verify.

paulmars

I didnt say it was not spinning. Just pointing out that i cant hold my hand up to a grate on the case and feel airflow to asses if it's spinning or not.

External on power cord power supply.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for not replying sooner, totally forgot.

Here is the link for the intel drivers.

Click on the download now button then install the little software and then run it so it can detect the exact hardware you have and see if there is updated drivers for it.

As far as the realtek audio driver goes, right click on it, click on properties, click on the details tab, click on hardware id box and then give me the 4 digit device id number.

hardware id.jpg

Its the 4 digits after DEV_

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

paulmars

so I should install the video drvr?

Will I need to do that again when i reinstall win10?

Why didnt my system say up to date?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

paulmars

My hdd was running hot & it's been 2 years since i last reinstalled win10.

Attachment shows my new hdd mount. Then I reinstalled win10.

I started a new thread titled "win10 installation issues.