WIndows 10 Why does my computer keep coming out of sleep mode on its own?

JohnJSal

Hi all. So this is definitely a new problem! As of today, when I put my PC into sleep mode, about 20 seconds later it just comes back on. I am definitely not touching anything to wake it up, so I have no idea what's going on.

The only thing that has changed since yesterday is that rather than having an ethernet cable plugged into my router and then into my PC, I have it plugged directly into my PC and the router is bypassed because it doesn't work. I can't imagine this would cause it to keep waking up, but who knows.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks!

Okedokey

Yes, it is. Your ISP is trying to wake your modem. If you don't have the router in place, remove the Ethernet cable as it is causing issues.

JohnJSal

Yes, it is. Your ISP is trying to wake your modem. If you don't have the router in place, remove the Ethernet cable as it is causing issues.
Wow, that is weird!

I will set up my new router tomorrow, so hopefully it will stop doing this!

Thanks!

ssal

Yes I experienced that too.
Check your "scheduled tasks" and you may find some apps schedule some kind of activities that would wake up the computer.

JohnJSal

Well, after setting up the new router, it doesn't come out of sleep anymore. What exactly is my ISP doing that made it do this?

Darren

Staff member
Computers/devices have a way to be woken up over an ethernet connection. Almost sort of in a similar way to how shaking a USB mouse wakes up a computer from sleep. That's a bit of an oversimplification but your ISP was trying to start your router but you had it plugged into your computer so it was enough to pull it out of sleep.

Ever called your ISP and they restarted your router remotely? Same thing.

JohnJSal

Computers/devices have a way to be woken up over an ethernet connection. Almost sort of in a similar way to how shaking a USB mouse wakes up a computer from sleep. That's a bit of an oversimplification but your ISP was trying to start your router but you had it plugged into your computer so it was enough to pull it out of sleep.

Ever called your ISP and they restarted your router remotely? Same thing.
Thanks, that makes sense!

Okedokey

Well, after setting up the new router, it doesn't come out of sleep anymore. What exactly is my ISP doing that made it do this?
You wouldn't want it any other way for various technical reasons.

In regards to your computer, you need to turn 'wake on lan' to disable or off in your bios.

JohnJSal

Well, now I need to keep the ethernet cable plugged directly into the PC for a couple of days because my router stopped working (again).

Can this issue with the ISP communicating with the PC and waking it up cause any problems if I leave it like this? Could it mess up my PC, the hardware, or anything?

Thanks!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Well, now I need to keep the ethernet cable plugged directly into the PC for a couple of days because my router stopped working (again).

Can this issue with the ISP communicating with the PC and waking it up cause any problems if I leave it like this? Could it mess up my PC, the hardware, or anything?

Thanks!
Take cover. The world is going to implode as we know it.

No. It'll be fine.