Why does my computer show lower specs then it has

viperboy1991

I have a HP ZV6233nr with a AMD 3200+ and i know i have more then 498Mhz of power. i also get 997 Mhz. between 498 and 997. also i have 512 ram and it says i have 480. i am checking this with View system info in my computer. I am running windows XP

jimkonow

your video memory (32mb) is used by your ram (512 mb) so 512-32=480. your cpu must have some sort of power save thing that underclocks it when it doesnt need so much power....
i think im right, am i right? lol
im pretty sure i am

viperboy1991

your video memory (32mb) is used by your ram (512 mb) so 512-32=480. your cpu must have some sort of power save thing that underclocks it when it doesnt need so much power....
i think im right, am i right? lol
im pretty sure i am

ok well that makes sense...i have no idea if your right but when i start to open programs it starts to bump up..when i boot it only has 498 Mhz and when i open firefox it bumped up to 997 Mhz. I think i have 128 Video ram which would make me wonder why only 32 is being taken away but that makes sense too.

Joy Toy

Yeah that's right. Windows shows what the CPU is running at currently not its max speed so it can fluctuate. And if you have onboard graphics it will share with the system RAM, so 512MB minus the graphics will be less.

- Joy

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
^ The Dell hat0r ;)

^ Joy Toy

To further explain Joy's answer, what you are seeing is the result of Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST). It's a CPU-technology that will scale-back your CPU's output when Idle to save power and run cooler. Whereas a P4 may run 3.2 all the time, regardless of what it's doing, a CPU rated at 3.2 with EIST will only run at 3.2 when it's needed, otherwise it will scale itself back to 2.8, 2.4, or lower when it needs to.

viperboy1991

^ The Dell hat0r ;)

^ Joy Toy

To further explain Joy's answer, what you are seeing is the result of Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST). It's a CPU-technology that will scale-back your CPU's output when Idle to save power and run cooler. Whereas a P4 may run 3.2 all the time, regardless of what it's doing, a CPU rated at 3.2 with EIST will only run at 3.2 when it's needed, otherwise it will scale itself back to 2.8, 2.4, or lower when it needs to.

ok cool that makes tons of sense! thanks!

bigbird

^ The Dell hat0r ;)

^ Joy Toy

I think he means Cool-n-Quiet for the AMD chips, Intels use EIST!