Why does this ethernet splitter say use in pairs?

dirtbikeryzz

I have a basic charter modem with only one ethernet port, which is taken up with an ethernet cord going from the modem to my desktop, I bought a router which I can't use because I only have 1 spot for an ethernet cable. So I'm looking at ethernet splitter online, So I can have two cables running from my modem, one to the desktop one to the router. But these splitters all say use in pairs which makes no sense to me.

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-37...973&sr=1-4&keywords=ethernet+network+splitter

Why would hooking that up to my modem, and running two ethernet cables from it not work?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Why can't you just go from the modem to the router like you're supposed to?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
.....just buy another ethernet cable. They're dirt cheap.

And before you ask "Where would I plug it in to?" You'd plug it into one of the other LAN ports on the router. Most routers have 1 internet port (WAN) and 4 LAN ports.

Fig%204.jpg

dirtbikeryzz

.....just buy another ethernet cable. They're dirt cheap.

And before you ask "Where would I plug it in to?" You'd plug it into one of the other LAN ports on the router. Most routers have 1 internet port (WAN) and 4 LAN ports.

Fig%204.jpg

I have a million ethernet cables, I wasn't aware you can run one from the router to a desktop, and it work just fine, if that's what your telling me to do?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I have a million ethernet cables, I wasn't aware you can run one from the router to a desktop, and it work just fine, if that's what your telling me to do?

Yes, that's what I'm telling you to do. That's what the LAN ports are for (you can also connect network printers, NAS drives, etc.) :cool: