why does w7 32 bit cost more than w7 64 bit?

Binkstir

I'm working on a friend's laptop and with 1gb of ram (according to ms) I should go with the 32 operating system. It seems like it's about 25 bucks more.
Any ideas why this is?

User0one

Guess it just depends where you buy it. They were the same cost where I shopped. In fact the package came with a 32bit and 64 bit Disk where you had a choice of what to install.

Okedokey

Nothing special with Windows 7 64 bit.

except of course if you need to memory address more than 2^32 (4GB). I commonly use more than 5GB when encoding, mounting dvds to play or install, gaming etc etc.

I have a 1GB graphics card, 6GB RAM, 60Mb of sound card memory and other memory. The total is over 7GB. Using a 32bit OS would mean i would only be able to address 2.5GB system memory (RAM) for the OS. This is why a 64bit OS is recommended. Gone are the bad old days regarding drivers etc.

What this also means is that if i only have 2.5GB i will be relying on a thrashing hard driver or a slower ssd to get that info instead of RAM, this is not a good idea. 2.5GB doesn't take much to use if you are a power user. You never know when you might want to use more.

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
That's rather strange... Where I work both versions are the same cost. Plus (at least with OEM, though I think it works with Retail) you can install x64 using an x86 key and vise-versa.