Why doesn't the reset button work on my computer?

Notolone

This is my set up. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/oIn8 Everythings connected right and working fine, but for some reason, my reset button on my computer body doesn't function. It's weird because the light right above the button is turned on. Anyone else ever experience this problem?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah seems your connections are wrong. The reset button doesnt have a light, the power led or hdd led are the only lights. Recheck your connections.

Bradan

I think pwr/rst switches are just jumpers, and the polarity doesnt matter, so see if its seated right. You could also switch the power and reset connectors on the mobo and see if the rst switch works as a power button etc.

Haha, havn't been here in years.

Notolone

Hey guys, on my console there's a blue light on the power button, and then another blue light just above the reset button. I always assumed it was for the reset button. The connectors labeled reset switch and HDD led connect to the bottom prongs (is that the right word?) Whereas the power button and others connect to the top prongs.

The HDD led and reset switch are the two that seem to always be in the wrong spot. They each have two holes for connectors, but the bottom set of prongs has 5 connectors. No combination seems to work, but one of them made the light above the reset button turn red, whereas its usually blue. I suppose that must be a good sign.

Does this info tell you guys anything? I still haven't gotten to the bottom of it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how you have it hooked up but here are your pinouts.

top left is your power led, top right is your power switch
bottom left is your HDD activity light, bottom right is your reset switch. The only 2 led's are your power led and hdd led.

The last prong on the bottom right isn't used.