Why have Dell laptops (and computers in general) gone to shit nowadays?

alienationware

I think I've found the reason why I'm so ticked of with Dell recently:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50687-35-what-laptop-brand

After that long of a post, I now suspect that YOU work for Dell.

I'm an engineer who works for a company making GPS devices, so I have no false loyalties to any particular computer maker. However, I have used many dozens of computers over the past several years, and I am quite convinced that the quality of Dell computers has gone downhill.

Yes, Dell has a fantastic name built on reasonably priced and highly RELIABLE computers. That was true up until roughly three years ago when Dell had pretty much peaked in market share, and the only way to squeeze out more and more profit for the shareholders was to cut costs at the company. They outsouced their customer service, and they switched to cheaper vendors for their parts and assemblies.

I used to never see Dell computers fail, but these days I've seen a roughly 30% failure rate on all Dell computers in just the first year of use. That failure rate is consistent across several models of laptops and desktop that we use at my company.

I have been told by other engineers that some of the high-end Dell systems, like their gaming PC's, are still reasonably reliable because they have no choice but to use high quality parts for those systems. That may be true. But the poor customer service is also true, and that applies across all tiers of Dell systems.

If you are unlucky enough to be one of those 30% with a broken computer, be prepared to waste the next 3 weeks of your life.

I have personally witnessed several NIGHTMARE stories of friends of mine having to deal with Dell customer service. I would post them, but they are so awful that you surely wouldn't believe me. I don't blame you, because I wouldn't have believed these stories either had I not witnessed them with my own eyes.

No wonder why ALL Dell laptops suck nowadays, even their high-end XPS models.

bomberboysk

I think I've found the reason why I'm so ticked of with Dell recently:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50687-35-what-laptop-brand

No wonder why ALL Dell laptops suck nowadays, even their high-end XPS models.

Not all of their parts suck. For example, the dimension 531 uses a motherboard manufactured by asus for dell. The cpu's they have to get from intel, as you cant get a generic intel cpu lol. The hard drives are the same way. Memory though, that is almost always generic as are the power supplies alot of the times(Heck, any company uses generic power supplies, even acer, hp, compaq, etc). DVD drives are usually TSSTcorp(basically toshiba), lite-on, or samsung from what ive seen but they are usually pretty low end of the spectrum as far as quality is concerned. Simply put, dont buy premade computers to begin with.

604action

Dunno?
3f4366aeb9c157cf9a30c90693eafc55.jpg