Why is interent explorer not working?

cdfreelancer

I'm posting on behalf of a friend of mine as he is unable to use internet explorer.

Whenever he trys to goto a webpage he gets this message:

"The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

He gets this problem not matter which URL he tries to visit.

He has checked to make sure that privacy and security settings are set to medium and has also done a complete check for spyware.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

magicman

VIP Member
Sounds like it could be a problem with his internet connection in general rather than just IE.

Has the problem just appeared out of nowhere, or has it happened as a result of something?

magicman

VIP Member
Mmm... Is he on dialup or broadband? I've got a hunch it's a problem with the connection. If so, try "repairing" the connection by right clicking on the connection in Network Connections off the start menu. If that fails (and it's broadband), I would try to reinstall the broadband software. I'm as much at a loss as you are mate.

magicman

VIP Member
Haha - ok now I'm stumped.

Actually...I hope I'm not insulting your friend's intelligence...Internet Explorer isn't set to work offline, is it??? (i.e. File/Work Offline)

If not I'll have to have a think and get back to you.

red onion

Have your friend use another browser to see if that works. If it does, then the problem is with IE.
Also try opening IE and going to tools--Internet Options and resetting to defaults. One of these may work. If nothing works, try downloading a new copy of IE from Microsoft.com, (use the other browser for this).

cdfreelancer

How can he use another browser? He only has internet explorer and would need it to be operational to DL another browser.

magicman

VIP Member
If you both have a programme like MSN Messenger you could download a browser for him and transfer it to him. (It would have to be the complete offline install, not the little download-installer programme)

S_Doherty

Try these steps to see how far you get:

Under the General Tab:
Tools> Internet Options> delete cookies, delete temp files (offline content too)
Tools> Internet Options> Settings button> make sure it is set to "check for newer versions of stored page: AUTOMATICALLY" and "Amount of disk space to use is set to 10MB"
Then under the connections tab (still in Internet Options) click where it says "LAN settings" make sure that nothing is checked here.
side note* if he doesn't have IE with the update Q12124 or something like that...try repair their browser.....

S_Doherty

Note:

you could try resetting their TCP/IP (only if WinXP):
start>run>cmd type the line below:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
they will see a black dialog box and it will disappear, have them restart their machine to see if that helps at all....

Last edited:

red onion

cdfreelancer said:
How can he use another browser? He only has internet explorer and would need it to be operational to DL another browser.
You are correct. Some one else would have to download it. :p
sometimes I don't think too straight. :D