Why is my computer doing this?

b182tm

Hey guys. I got a new mobo and CPU, and installed hem and everything a few weeks ago. I leave my comp. on about 24/7, but today when I got home from school, I turned it on, and nothing shows up on the monitor. I turned it off (just by pressign the power button) and turned it back on and it worked fine. It has done this a few times now, but it doesnt do it every time. I have run MemTest86, everythings fine. Could it be the video card? Everything works fine, but the screen has nothing on it.

Thanks,
Derek

b182tm

Well, I left it turned off today, forgot to say that. I got home and turned it on, and it did that.

b182tm

Oh, it had the blank screen. It seems to only happen after it's been off for long periods of time.

Thanks,
Derek

ceewi1

VIP Member
Check your Power Options (Control Panel -> Power Options). Make sure that the 'Turn Off Hard Disks' and 'System Standby' are set to Never.

b182tm

But it only happens when my computer is turned on, from off. Like it is sitting off, and it is turned on, and nothing comes up. I will check my power options though, but i thought that was just when the comp. was on.

Thanks,
Derek

b182tm

I dont tihnk its PSU, cuz it runs great, it just does that at start up every once in a while. I mean I leave my computer on 24/7, never had a problem, except when I turn it on. And even when I have the problem, it runs fine, just nothing on the screen.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I dont tihnk its PSU, cuz it runs great
Yes it runs great - when it runs :) So still could be the PSU

It beeps once, just like normal. Everything is normal except the monitor, it's weird.
Do you turn the monitor off as well when you turn the box off?

Last edited:

Hans

Yes it runs great - when it runs So still could be the CPU

But he told that computer is working but monitor is not.Are you tried to put some other graphic card in AGP?

b182tm

Hey guys. When I turn it off, I usually do turn the monitor off as well. But I turn the monitor on before I hit the power button. And if it were the PSU, wouldnt the fans and hdd and lights not come on? And could a PSU cause the monitor only to not come on? Well, thanks a lot for the help. Anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks,
Derek

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
And if it were the PSU, wouldnt the fans and hdd and lights not come on?
Depends how the fans are connected ... if one of the rails is dead then it wont recieve power... I didnt say it was likely, jus tthat it was possible

And could a PSU cause the monitor only to not come on?
Depends if the mobo is getting power. (btw the videocard has a indepdentn power connector right?)

b182tm

Hey. Two of my fans are connected to my mobo, one is connected to PSU via an extension cable. And the vid. card's power is through the PCI slot, not connected to the PSU. I know it's not RAM, I ran MemTest86 for a long time, no errors. Cant be mobo, it is brand new, CPU is also brand new, HDD is working fine, sound card, I dont know what that would have to do with it. Now it is kind of between the PSU and vid. card, or just some driver or something. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.