why is my computer freezing?!

imsannr

I just upgraded everything, new ram, new mobo, and a e6600 processor. And the reason I did all of this, was because i thought i had a hardware problem that was causing the constant freezes. But it did not fix the problem. Everything on my computer is at stock speeds, I downloaded the latest drivers for everything because i kinda had to since I did a stratch install for windows and im still having the same problem. My powersupply is pretty new, its a 550watt antec and all the fans are spinning. SO I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered this problem before, and if so. what did he or she do?

Intel e6600 core 2 duo
Gefore 7950gt 512mb
Intel Desktop Board DP965LT
Windows XP SP2
2gb of corsair 5300 RAM
Soundblaster X-FI Extreme Audio
3 SATA Hard Drives
1 IDE Hard Drive
1 IDE DVD ROM

K3rupt

Hmmm. What is exactly happening, If your computer is on, and music is playing, When it freezes, does the music continue playing, or does it kinda loop on like a 1 second time slot thing like "Ta, Ta, ta, Ta, Ta"

OR

Does your computer BSOD When you say it "Freezes"

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death (Thanks too mr Bill Gates)

I would of said Faulty Ram for starters, But You replaced both sticks right?

Not just buying an Extra Stick?

Try them in different slots if that is the case.

imsannr

haha yeah its like getting jacked into the matrix if music is playing, its like a hard philszzzzzzz sound. And it is completely froze, no blue screen, no black screen, its just whatever is up at the moment stays up and does not respond. usually you can't tell unless you try to move the mouse and it goes nowwhere. The only culprits still in my system are 2 satas and 1 ide drive. I didn't think about it before but i ran a check disk and recovery on all the drives and It definetly found some stuff. So its been an hour and no freeze. If you can think of anything else to try that would be wicked cool

Thanks for the reply

oh yeah i didn't add the ram to old ram, its new and both sticks are the same brand

brian

VIP Member
Its possible the power supply but i would think it would give you something else. Also since there is no blue screen of death, i dont think it is a windows thing, could be tho. it could also be your hd.

imsannr

yeah its a really weird problem. And an expensive one at that. But, it is giving me a reason to buy new hardware...cept it still doesnt work.

Sell224

Might sound pretty basic, and you probably already checked this.. but how are your temps? I don't know if overheating could cause freezes.. but seems worth a try.

Download PC Probe or something to monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures if you haven't already.

If that don't work I might suggest reformatting? I got nothing.

imsannr

yeah I'm not really sure how hot this cpu should run but its usually at about 49-52. Its a E6600 and its not overclocked or anything.

I'll run memtest and see if the ram is bad, which i hope it isn't since its new. And do you know of any programs that can diagnose hard drives? Because 3 of those are originals but my OS is on a new one. Still its worth a try.

thanks for the responses

ANNR

i had he same problem with my old pc years back and for me it was cased by one of my hard drive going bad. I don't remember what I used to check the hard drive but when I did it found some bad sectors on the drive. replacing the drive fix the problem.

eric92park

i had he same problem with my old pc years back and for me it was cased by one of my hard drive going bad. I don't remember what I used to check the hard drive but when I did it found some bad sectors on the drive. replacing the drive fix the problem.

Sounds like solution, he never said he changed HD or reformatted

K3rupt

Originally Posted by kof2000
it caught a cold?

Lol mine caught HIV from another computer...

Well Keep your computer away from sex, What good is computer sex? haha... all it will produce is mini atx towers runnin round everywhere... Well... Not Exactly Running...

Waiiiiiit, xD I WANT LIL ATX Towers!

Who wants to donate there computer in for "Service"

Last edited:

imsannr

ok i think ANNR is on to something, My system drive is brand new out of the box. And all it has on it is the os. So I'll remove all the other drives and run jackhammer and see if it crashes. If it doesnt freeze then it could only be a harddrive issue. And then i can just keep testing each hard drive until i find which one is bad.

Thanks for the replys

imsannr

ok well its not the harddrives, because it froze when it was just my brand new system drive and no others. And its not the videocard because i tested it with a 7800gtx instead of my 7950gt and it still froze. Its not the RAM because i tested it with different RAM. SO, I think its the powersupply. But before I can say that, i need to take out my soundboard and wireless board and run 3dmark or something...any advice?

imsannr

Removed soundblaster x-fi extreme audio soundcard. The problem is gone.

Thanks for all the suggestions people! And if anyone is debating on where or not to buy an x-fi. I would suggest you not. I just hope the audio on my mother board is decent.

imsannr

ok, it wasn't the x-fi. So don't not buy one. It was the netgear wireless card. Its been 2 days or so and no crashes