Why Is My Computer Running Sloe

strker16

Hey i built my computer like 4 or 5 months ago. I have noticed that it starts up very slow and getting on programs could be a lot faster. Also in games it lags sometimes. I dont know what the problem is. Is it the power supply or the cpu not working well. Here are my uses of the computer and the specs. Thanks for any help

Uses- video editing, interent, some games(crysis and sims 3)

Specs

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3HP AM2+ RTL

CPU - AMD|A64 X2 6000+ 3.1G AM2 1M RT

Ram - 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ2P10664GK

GPU- VGA EVGA 512-P3-N973-TR 9800GT RT

Power Supply- COOLMAX|NW-650B 650W RT

Hard Drive - 500G|SAMG 7K 16M SATA2 HD501LJ - OEM

DVD Drive - DVD BURN SAMSUNG|TS-H653N 20X

strker16

i have.... ive used advanced system cleaner and defragged it. I have also checked for viruses and my hard drive only uses 100 or the 500 gig harddrive.

euwern

here's some tips:
1. clean your temporary internet files
2. turn off auto run for unused software (for example: windows live messenger,skype or etc.)

strker16

i have i use msconfig and all my iternet cookies and files always get deleted. i believe it is a hardware issue

euwern

try reformatting your computer..if it is still slow..your hardware may have some problem..else.. virus infection..(well.. most of the time is unharmful virus that keep eating up your RAM and hence makes your computer slow)

Cameldude

Make sure that the computer is cooling alright, and all the temperatures are on average low. You should look at Windows task manager and see if Memory or CPU usage being used. Look at what program it is. IF all of this is alright, then do indeed a clean install.
If you have a free antivirus protection than you are with a chance of having a virus, that is not to say that the ones you pay for will stop them all, but they are more likely.