Why is my Dell (locked bios) underclocked for no reason?

Echo Ecko X

banned

Yeah.. See its underclocked. its running so much slower. I mean what in the hell. Locked bios, the works. I put my computer in standby, and i undo it, and come back, play some Area 51, right about as i save, it closes. And then just screwin around, I find that. Why is this happening. Its soooooo damn slow!

Echo Ecko X

banned
What it was (because im 15) I made the harddrive go to ''quiet mode'' In the bios. Because I didnt wanna be caught on late at night, lol. Anyways.. I had no idea that, that slowed down the processor. I thought it was just the boot-up, and data searching (rpm speed). But yeah.. looks like it clocked me down. Which is rather screwed up. I thought my processor was overheating, because, when an Intel overheats, it under clocks. Anyways, im still confused why it also slowed down my processor.. but eh.. oh well.

:D

Thanks for the interest though :D

Echo Ecko X

banned
<SERIOUS NOW>

Havent even shut off the computer, and it went back. And I changed the hard drive back. Well, no I did turn it off, but it doesnt matter, because I saved it inthe bios. So this shouldnt be happening? Now does anyone know whats going on?

lee101

VIP Member
is it overheating by any chance?
Isn't it P4's that slow down if they overheat, could that be the problem, try checking the temps

Geoff

VIP Member
lee101 said:
is it overheating by any chance?
Isn't it P4's that slow down if they overheat, could that be the problem, try checking the temps
ya, but it shouldnt happen unless its extremely hot.

Echo Ecko X

banned
And this is a prescott, so its rated for heat.. Although it is a dell, so I cant check the temps. Anyways.. THis is just weird!

sniperchang

Doesn't your system come with a program to keep an eye on the temps? If not check your BIOS sometimes there's CPU temps there.

Geoff

VIP Member
sniperchang said:
Doesn't your system come with a program to keep an eye on the temps? If not check your BIOS sometimes there's CPU temps there.
OEM's dont come with that kind of software, only things that people generally dont want. And most likely its not in the BIOS either. Those are features that companies such as Abit, DFI, MSI, ect offer to make it easy for overclockers.

sniperchang

[-0MEGA-] said:
OEM's dont come with that kind of software, only things that people generally dont want. And most likely its not in the BIOS either. Those are features that companies such as Abit, DFI, MSI, ect offer to make it easy for overclockers.

ah ok got it. With my motherboard you can see the temps in the BIOS, I guess it's not all motherboards :rolleyes: ...

Echo Ecko X

banned
Dude, I have a feeling that your right. Because when I booted it was, 2.78, and now, its back to 2.99. Werid huh...? This is a serious WTF?! Oh well.. ill just tell the parents i need better cooling to run my computer :D

lee101

VIP Member
If you want to check the temperature with no sensors theres nothing wrong with teh good old human body, when it get's really hot shutdown and feel the cpu, if it's hot then it's obviously the heat problem
edit: Oh, you're banned, guess you won't be coming abck and that was a pointless post