Why is my PC crashing every day?

JohnJSal

Perhaps this will help. I just noticed on the blue screen it said "Page fault in non-paged area." That seemed to be the type/title of the error that caused the crash.

Any fixes to that that don't involve reinstalling Windows? :)

FuryRosewood

This is likely not a windows problem, have you ran memtest? Im going to sound like a broken record here, but I really think you have bad ram.

JohnJSal

This is likely not a windows problem, have you ran memtest? Im going to sound like a broken record here, but I really think you have bad ram.

I did the other night and it said no errors were found, but I plan to run it again all day tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That does usually mean its a memory issue but could be something else. I would try a different video card as well. Do you have the windows 7 install cd? You may also want to do a sfc /scannow to make sure system files aren't corrupt.

JohnJSal

That does usually mean its a memory issue but could be something else. I would try a different video card as well. Do you have the windows 7 install cd? You may also want to do a sfc /scannow to make sure system files aren't corrupt.

Ok, just ran scannow and it said no errors or problems were found. I suppose if it HAS to be a hardware issue, RAM is the best thing. Trivial to replace compared to just about any other part. :)

Edit: I just want to say, though, that it's very strange how the crashes only happen when I'm playing the game. I'm pretty sure the game ITSELF is not the problem, but I wonder if maybe it's taxing my PC somehow (something with memory?) that milder use, such as browsing like I'm doing right now, doesn't do?

JohnJSal

Well, 21 hours and 18 passes later Memtest still reports no errors. I hate to actually replace my RAM without knowing for sure there's a problem with it.

As an experiment, I uninstalled Ad-Aware altogether, just to see if that has an effect. Like I mentioned before, the only change to my system prior to these crashes happening was that I updated Ad-Aware. I don't know if that would really cause the problem, but I have Malwarebytes anyway and Ad-Aware was taking a long time to load at startup anyway.

I'll report back if that happens to have an effect.

Otherwise, any other suggestions? Anything in particular to be done about the "Page fault in non-paged area" error that maybe involves just uninstalling something or running other tests?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As said, that error usually always refers to a memory issue but could be malware related. Just keep us updated.

JohnJSal

As said, that error usually always refers to a memory issue but could be malware related. Just keep us updated.

Well, it wasn't Ad Aware because it crashed after I uninstalled it.

However, so far today it has not crashed since I lowered the graphics setting of the game (from Very High to High) and the Anti-aliasing from 4x to 2x. I've also noticed that the load times between areas are shorter, and this tended to be where the crashes happened.

It's too early to tell if this really is the solution, but so far it's looking good.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If I were you, I would get a better video card. You may be having issues with the card as its getting old.

Okedokey

I'm planning to do a complete upgrade soon, so hopefully it will last until I figure out all the new parts I want :)

YOu have a nice computer. Very similar to my old one. I wouldn't upgrade just yet. Slam a GTX570 in there and you're done IMO.

JohnJSal

YOu have a nice computer. Very similar to my old one. I wouldn't upgrade just yet. Slam a GTX570 in there and you're done IMO.

Thanks. The graphics card was definitely the main reason for upgrading, so I can play some newer games. But I figured a Sandy Bridge CPU might be nice, which of course means a new motherboard. The rest can probably stay the same, assuming there isn't actually anything wrong with the HDD or RAM.

(So far, no crashes as of yesterday.)

JohnJSal

Well, it's been several days since my last crash, so it seems really to have been that the graphics settings were too high (although that's what they always were for the past year). Turning them down slightly has improved load times, lessened lag (such as when I round a corner and the game has to load everything in sight), and of course has stopped the crashes.

I'm just excited it wasn't actually a hardware problem. Now I can start focusing on upgrading. You'll probably be seeing some posts by me in the near future asking questions about the latest parts. :)

Thanks for all the help and advice. It was great that you guys recommended so many tests to run. Much better than being in the dark for about a week, while my PC crashed 2-3 times a day!